Friday, February 16, 2024

Things I Don't Buy Anymore

 Sourdough Bread
I have been wanting to make this post where I go over all the things I no longer buy at the grocery store. I was really surprised that when I found all the items, there were a lot more than I thought. I have shifted to making a lot of this because of health reasons, but it is also cheaper to make this food at home.  
The first thing I no longer buy is bread. This is my sourdough sandwich bread. It has way fewer ingredients than the store bought. It is better for you too. I did buy a loaf of sourdough at the store when we were short on time one week, and I brought the loaf home and compared it to my bread, and the two loaves looked the same. It is a winner, and it makes up so easy in the bread maker.

Homemade Ranch Dressing
Ranch dressing: The quality of ranch dressing in the bottle was just starting to bother me. Especially when my family pours so much of it on their food. So I took a new turn and decided to make it. It has been a success, and the family loves it.

Homemade Biscuits
Biscuits: It has been a few years since I bought a can of biscuits. They are really easy to make, and, oh, so good! 

Cream of Mushroom Soup
Cream of mushroom soup: You can also make this into any "cream of" soup. It really has a nice texture and works well in recipes too. 

Home Made Muffins
Muffins: I took a day a few months ago and made it a muffin baking day. I then froze most of them. We have been unthawing these muffins and using them for breakfasts or snacks. They froze so well, I couldn't tell I hadn't just baked them. I wasn't expecting that!

Cinnamon Rolls
Cinnamon rolls: Okay, need I say more! Fresh cinnamon rolls can be made in an hour. They are delicious, and the free smells related to this activity make it so worthwhile!! 

Home Made Pizza Dough
Frozen pizza dough: You can do a lot more with pizza dough than just make pizza. It is so easy to make and put in the freezer. I always have pizza dough ready to go.

Home Made Pizza
Pizza: I no longer buy frozen pizzas. I used to buy about 12 a week! We started making pizza and haven't looked back. It is way healthier and easy to do.  

Cheese Sticks
Cheese sticks: These are garlic cheese sticks. You could make plain ones. They work well for picky children and adults alike and go great with pizza. Dip them in marinara or ranch! 

Home Made Cranberry Sauce
Cranberry sauce: No more jellified cans of cranberry sauce for my family. I make this from scratch and can it so it is available for a side anytime we want to eat it.

Home Made Pie
Pie: I quit buying store pies a while ago. They are expensive, and I just fell out of the habit of getting them. We only eat about one a month, and it is no trouble to make them. 

Home Made Brownies
Brownies: We used to buy the kids a lot of brownies, and I just make them now. It is a one-bowl and bake item that is so easy and fresher than the boxed, ready made brownies.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cookies: I have made more chocolate chip cookies than anything else for the blog. It has always been my one weakness! I usually don't buy them anymore. I always have the ingredients on hand and can make a batch really fast.

Apple Butter
Fruit jams and butters: I made a lot of jam this winter. I canned them all, and I still haven't gotten around to sharing them on the blog. I made so many that I now think I will just share our favorites. More on that soon. 
So I challenge you to make some of these items at home and forgo the convenience for healthier food. I included links to each food item in the text. They link back to my Victory Cottage cookbook. I share all my recipes for free on the link to this page at the top of the blog. 
Let me know if you make any of these items too! 

In Victory!
Sherry

3 comments:

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

Love this so much Sherry! Such smart and inspiringly healthful choices. I know there is a lot more I could make at home and avoid the less healthy convenience. Thanks for sharing!! ;)

Bernideen said...

I applaud you - this is wonderful.

Lillibeth said...

All your suggestions look scrumptious! I discovered just a few months ago how easy and delicious homemade cranberry sauce is.