Thursday, December 14, 2023

Cranberry Sauce

Cranberry Sauce
Every year, when the fresh cranberries come to the grocery stores, I buy up a supply of them and make this homemade cranberry sauce. I can it and keep it on the shelf for when the need arises and we want some. 

Cranberry Sauce
Cranberries are one of my favorite things to can. They set up perfectly and look so good when served compared to their jelled store-bought cousins. 

Cranberry Sauce
From Scratch Cranberry Sauce 
Yield 2 cups

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon orange zest
3/4 cup orange juice (juice of 2 large navel oranges)
1/2 cup honey
12 oz. whole fresh cranberries

In a medium sauce pan over medium high heat combine the orange zest, orange juice, and honey. Reduce the heat to low and gently simmer and stir in the cranberries. Cook the berries until they burst, about 15 minutes. Spoon the sauce into a half pint jar and refrigerate for up to 6 hours, then serve. OR:I hot water bath can mine with the hot pack method and spoon the sauce into a half pint mason jar with 1/4-1/2 inch headspace and then process 15 minutes in a boiling water bath. Take the canner off of the heat when done and let the jars sit in the canner for 5 minutes then remove them to counter to be undisturbed for 24 hours. Check seals and store for a year on shelf. Half pint yield: 4 jars

In Victory,
Sherry

2 comments:

Bernideen said...

That is fantastic. I promise myself every year that I do some canning but I guess I spend that time at the sewing machine. I love the look of home canned food and what wonderful gifts they make. (I have canned a lot in my younger days) Your cranberry sauce looks wonderful. I do freeze them each year and I love putting them in my apple pies. I congratulate you on this lovely accomplishment.

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I LOVE homemade cranberry jam and have been doing it that way every Thanksgiving for several years now. I'll never go back now. So good! Christmas blessings to you. xo