Thursday, June 22, 2023

The Cottage Kitchen: Lemon Cheesecake

 Lemon Cheescake

Today I am making a lemon cheesecake topped with raspberries and lemon wedges.  I wanted to make the cheesecake smaller, so I used a 7.5-inch pan that also works in the instant pot, but I baked this one the oven. 

Lemon Cheesecake
Here I am mixing the cream cheese. I like making these cottage kitchen posts on my cottage table. I am going to make fewer of them though, because it is hard to carve out the time to set these up every week. 

Lemon Cheesecake
I am also seeing the need to make recipes with fewer ingredients. This was fun to make, and I had all the supplies for it, but with times as they are, I think I will start baking more of the basics.

Lemon Cheesecake
Now to the fun part, decorating the cake. Raspberries are in season now, and I am also going to be cooking seasonally.

Lemon Cheesecake
Here is the finished product. The cake didn't last for 24 hours. I think it was a success. I used an instant pot recipe to get this cake this size and used the instructions for baking it in the oven. Here is the recipe:
Serves: 8
Ingredients:
6 oz. (1.25-1.5 cups)graham crackers
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons white sugar
Zest of 1/2 lemon
For the cream cheese filliing:
2-8 oz. packages of cream chesse at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
2 large eggs at room temperature
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablesppons lemon juice
1 tablespoon of vanilla
For the topping:
3/4 cup fresh raspberries
2 lemons sliced thin and cut into wedges
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Extra lemon zest from one lemon
*Note: I used 4 medium lemons total for the recipe and to decorate with the wedges.
Also need a 7.5-inch springform pan
piping bag and icing tip (optional)
Instructions:
Butter the 7.5-inch springform pan. I also lined the bottom with a circle of parchment paper that I cut out to fit the bottom by tracing around the pan. That just makes it easier to lift the cake off the base once cooked. 
Take the graham crackers and put them in a ziplock bag and use a rolling pin to crush them into crumbs. You could also use a food processor. 
Combine the crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and lemon zest in a mixing bowl. Stir until well combined and then place into the bottom of the springform pan and press into place with the bottom of a glass, measuring cup, or whatever you have that will make the crust smooth. I did not spread the crust up the sides of the pan I just made it smooth and pressed into the bottom. Place the pan with the crust into the freezer while making the filling.
To make the lemon filling:
In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with a hand mixer for 30 seconds. Add sugar a little at a time and mix well. Add eggs one at a time mixing until just combined. Do not overmix. Add flour and cream to the filling and mix until just combined. Add lemon juice and vanilla and stir in with a spatula. Take the pan and crust out of the freezer and pour the filling into the pan spreading evenly. 
To prepare for baking cover the very base of the pan with a aluminum foil sheet wrapping it up the sides of the pan half-way. The aluminum foil should be taller on the springform pan than the water in the roasting pan. Place the springform pan into a larger roasting pan. Fill the roasting pan with 1-inch of water.
Baking: 
 Bake the cake like this, in the roasting pan of water for 50 minutes. This is called a bain marie, it is explained here. After the 50 minutes turn off the oven and prop the door open and leave the cake in the oven like this for another hour. After this the center of the cake will be set and also crack-free and smooth because of the bain marie cooking method. After it is cooled I took the cake out of the springform pan but I left the metal part of the pan on the bottom and served the cake like this. 
Making the whip cream:
Beat the heavy whipping cream with blender till almost forming stiff peaks, mix in the powdered sugar and contiue mixing until it forms stiff peaks. Use a piping bag and desired tip for decoration and fill it with the whip cream. 
Decorating:
I took the surface of my cake and imagined it in 8 slices and then decorated accordingly. I piped on whip cream and then added wedges of lemon and finally added raspberries pushed down into the whip cream. I didn't aim for symmetry, just had fun decorating. 
Store in a cake holder or wrapped with plastic wrap in the fridge. Should last for up to 5 days.


In victory,
Sherry

No comments: