Friday, July 21, 2023

Sourdough Bread

Sourdough Bread
I have been searching for a bread recipe that could replace store-bought bread for my family. I have made many attempts at making bread, but they all were not quite a soft store loaf of bread. I wanted it to be sourdough, so it would be healthier and use very little yeast. 
 
Sourdough Bread
I have finally made the loaf I was searching for. It is soft, and it slices perfectly. It tastes buttery. It can finally replace store-bought sandwich bread.

Sourdough Bread
I knew it was a hit when, before bed, my son wanted a snack and decided to have a slice of bread. 

Sourdough Bread
Here is the loaf right out of the breadmaker.

Sourdough Bread
One of the most desired crusts has always been the soft yet lightly browned crust. It is impossible to find in a store-bought loaf.

Sourdough Bread
I am so happy with this outcome. Now I am on to baking with the sour dough discard. I don't like to throw it away. Do you have a favorite bread recipe? 

Ingredients

1 cup sourdough discard, active and at room temperature

4 tablespoons water, at 80°F to 90°F

4 tablespoons melted butter, cooled a little

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 2/3 cup white bread flour

1 teaspoon bread machine yeast or instant yeast

Place the ingredients in your bread machine as recommended by the manufacturer. (Mine recommends the liquid ingredients, the dry ingredients, and then the yeast.) Program the machine for Basic/White bread, select light or medium crust (I choose light.), and press start. My machine has a selection for size of loaf and I choose the 1 1/2 pound loaf but I mix the ingredients up for a one pound loaf. It should make 10 slices. When the loaf is done, remove the bucket from the machine. Let the loaf cool for 5 minutes. Gently shake the bucket to remove the loaf, and turn it onto a rack to cool.

This recipe adapted from: The No-Fuss Bread Machine Cookbook:Hands-Off Recipes for Perfect Homemade Bread, by Michelle Anderson. The recipe I used was page 141, Basic Sourdough Bread.

Linking with: Inspire Me Monday at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia

                       Your the Star Blog Hop at God's Growing Garden

In Victory,

Sherry

No comments: