Thursday, July 20, 2023

Cottage Kitchen: Sourdough Starter

Sourdough Starter
I have made it a goal to get good at making sourdough bread. I have mastered the starter and made sourdough pizza crust for a few years now, but I wanted to make the perfect loaf of everyday sandwich bread. 
 
Sourdough Starter
The starter recipe I follow is from King Arthur Flour. It seems complicated until you make it several times, and then it becomes a routine you get familiar with. Here I have measured out by weight 113g of whole wheat flour, and I am pouring in 1/2 cup of cool water.

Sourdough Starter
Make sure you mix it in a glass container. On reviewing these photos, I probably shouldn't have used the aluminum canning funnel.* I will change that and just pour the flour in without it.  

Sourdough Discard
It seemed to work great this time but the next few times-this was day two- I fed the starter, and it started to go without as much activity. It might have been that canning funnel.*

Sourdough Discard
Anyway, this is the activity you want. Nice fluffy starter. I have used less fluffy starter, and it still makes good bread, but it is always a work in progress. 
*Note: the aluminum canning funnel may have been the reason my starter started to go "flat." I am no expert on sourdough by any means, but I did remake it several times without the aluminum canning funnel, and the results were more active, like in the photos above.
My sourdough bread results coming soon! 
In Victory,
Sherry

2 comments:

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

I've tried a couple of times to make starter and it hasn't been successful. Do you have to use King Arthur flour?

I've used Walmart or Aldi flour. Will that work?

Thank you!
Laura Lane
Harvest Lane Cottage.com

The Charm of Home said...

Hi Laura! No, you don't have to use KA flour but, you do need to use all-purpose unbleached flour. Which most stores have that in a store brand.
Thanks for your question. It's good to see you here. I remember you joining me blogging in the past.
Sherry