Friday, November 3, 2023

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
I have expanded my cooking skills by making a lot of my groceries from scratch. I wanted a cream of mushroom soup to replace the canned version. I found this recipe and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy this was and how much better the quality was. You can puree the soup in a blender and get it smooth, but I liked it rustic with the mushroom slices. It was silky smooth and looked delicious. I have used it several times to make chicken tetrazinni, and the dish gets great reviews from the family.
Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
Ingredients:
16 ounces fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced (I had really nice mushrooms frozen)
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic minced
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Instructions:
Heat the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and onions, stirring well. Cook until the mushrooms have absorbed most of the liquid ingredients (can be up to 20 minutes when mushrooms frozen). Add garlic and cook two minutes more. Blend in the flour, salt, pepper, and nutmeg and cook for one minute more. Whisk in the chicken stock throughly blending with flour. Simmer until slightly thickened, stir frequently. Add the cream and bring just to a simmer. Turn off the heat and adjust the seasonings to taste and serve hot. I use mine in recipes that call for two cans of cream of mushroom soup.
Recipe adapted from: Little House Living

Squash Soup Tureen

Fall Teacup
Enjoy!
In Victory,
Sherry

1 comment:

Bernideen said...

This looks wonderful and thanks for the recipe. I have several and will compare to this one. I love cooking from scratch. My husband has lots of food allergies so I am working on recipes all the time. I think it is fun which really helps.