Thursday, July 27, 2023

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies (with Sourdough Discard)

 Chcoclate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I have been searching for a sourdough discard recipe for chocolate chip cookies that was as good as a regular chocolate chip cookie, and a lot of the recipes just looked flat. 

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I decided to try a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie; it has always been a family favorite. Oatmeal seemed to be the missing ingredient. It gave body to the sticky sourdough and shaped up a very pretty cookie. The original recipe I followed stated that if you don't chill the dough, the cookies will be flat. The cookie dough on the left was not chilled, and the cookie dough on the right was. It did make a big difference in the outcome of the texture and shape of the cookie. 

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
The body of the cookie was also perfect; it had a great texture with the walnuts and chocolate chips dispersed throughout. Now I have a great recipe for my sourdough discard if I am craving chocolate chip cookies. I am not one to waste the discard, and I am starting to try more and more recipes using the discard.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies (with sourdough discard)

1 3/4 cup all purpose unbleached flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup of old fashioned or quick cooking oats
1/2 cup sourdough discard, unfed
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened
1 large egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chocolate chips
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

Add dry ingredients: flour, sugar, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and oats. Mix well in a large bowl. Add in wet ingredients: sourdough discard, butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix until all is well incorporated, don't overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts. Cover and chill for at least an hour.(If you don't chill the dough, the cookies won't be as pretty; they look flat.) Preheat oven to 350°F. After dough has chilled, scoop out the cookies into dough balls with a cookie scoop or large spoon. Place them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. They should be about two tablespoons in size. Bake for 12-13 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes before handling. Store in airtight container on counter. 

Recipe adapted from: Two Pink Peonies

In Victory,
Sherry
 

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Thank you for sharing this! I have been wanting to learn how to make sourdough, but I confess that I find it intimidating. I'm determined to learn, though. I love chocolate chip oatmeal cookies (I run the oatmeal through the grinder and sub for half the flour of what the recipe calls for), so this is perfect. I'm bookmarking for later reference!

ellen b. said...

Good morning. I saw your comment on Denise's blog about coming back to blogging after a break and decided to click over. The cookies look delicious. I always add oatmeal to the chippers I make. The added texture is something I enjoy. Blogging really has changed over the years. Blessings ellen b at The Happy Wonderer.