Monday, July 3, 2023

Cottage Garden: Favorite Container Combinations

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
What are your favorite container combinations? I have found a few that really make a nice display in the garden. This is one of my favorites: Coleus, Hypoestes, and Impatients. I grew all these from seed.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
In the spring I love Baby's Breath with its lacy quality, but when it heats up, I have to replace it with another plant. Stock is on the right here, and it will also have to be pulled out and replaced for the summer.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
I really like anything with a lacy texture, like Dianthus and Yarrow. They are pictured here with a Coral Punch Impatient.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos 

I have to  plant and remember that the container will fill out, and plants like Coleus will get very big.


Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
That same planter when bloomed out. Here I have Coleus, Dianthus, Hypoestes, and a single Dreamland Zinnia. It looks like there is a parsley plant on the left, but that was in another container.

Cottage Garden: Container Combinations
This is a full-grown Dreamland Zinnia. (Picture taken the first of September.) This is one plant. They are glorious! They don't get as tall, and they bush out when you don't pinch them, and the blooms stay colorful for a long time. They take up a lot of space. You could easily just put one per container. The same can be said for Dahlias, but in the planter above, I put one in the container with the Coleus, and it never got that big. 


Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
I love bright colors! There are no rules here; just keep to all the bright colors and not the pale ones. 

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
One of the most classic containers ever is a single Geranium in a clay pot.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
Now, in the elevated beds I take into consideration that I want trailing flowers. It could be nasturtium or any plant with a trailing habit. Here I plant a Wave Petunia and some sort of Salvia. This Blue Victory Salvia gets very tall by fall, but the bees absolutely love it! 

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
Here is the full-grown Blue Victory Salvia. It easily gets 20 inches high.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
The whole look in late summer.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
Now layer it all and put the brightly colored containers in front of or beside the elevated beds. This is the view when you come out of my back door.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
Then when anything gets ugly, like the short Zinnias getting shaggy in fall, pull them out and replace them with a fall mum.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
The Petunias also get shaggy by fall, so I have some Marigolds already started and growing, and I pull out the Petunias and replace them with the Marigolds.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
Then, the more I garden, I see many volunteers that are happy surprises. Here are two Coleus that have self-seeded into a potted fern.

Cottage Garden: Planter Combos
I planted this container with pansies I started from seed, and they are completely dwarfed by some Indian Summer Rudabeckia that had self-sown in this container. I didn't even know they were there when I planted the pansies. The pansies lasted into summer in the shade of the Rudabeckia, and they seem to like it there.
What are your favorite container combinations? 
I am still a beginning gardener. I have started my flowers from seed for the last three or four years. 
The whole garden is now around four years old. Each year I have hits and misses, and I just keep gardening on.

In Victory,

Sherry

1 comment:

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

So beautiful Sherry. And I love all of the combinations you come up with. I base my pots on in the front is shadier so I do begonias, impatiens and different border & filler flowers that love shade too. In the back it's so sunny so I do all the petunias, geraniums, pansies and flowering ivy and fillers that love sun too. ;)
Blessings on the rest of your week! xo