Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Icing the Cake

How do you ice your cake?  After over 20 years as Mom with many birthday cakes for three children, I found that there was a secret to icing the cake.  Often in a hurry, with children eagerly waiting for cake, you just can't ice a warm cake.  So, after the rest time out of the oven I flip the cake right onto a serving platter and stick it in the freezer for the quick cool down.  Shortly after the bottom layer has gone in the freezer I microwave the icing and ice between the layers and add the second layer to the whole cake and stick them both in the freezer.  Why do I microwave the icing?  Warm icing spreads easier.

I melted this icing quite a lot and it turned out shiny and oh so spreadable.  Working with it reminded me of ganache.  The cake and icing were just from the box and the can straight from the store.

So what are your tricks for icing the cake?  The cup is by Wedgwood the pattern is Royal Homes of Britain.

 Sherry
I will link this to:

 Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life
Table Top Tuesday  at A Stroll Thru Life
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters Stuff 
Rooted in Thyme Simple and Sweet Fridays
What's It Wednesday at Ivy and Elephants
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Friends Sharing Tea at Bernideen's Tea Time Blog  

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! I could eat a piece of that cake right now! It's gorgeous. Now I've learned something new - I've never microwaved icing. That does make sense! I'll do it next time.
be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Ricki Treleaven said...

Well your icing method is genius, and I'm embarrassed I didn't think of it first! ;P

Such a pretty post. I love the china pattern. Are the homes identified on the bottom of each piece?

xo,
RJ

Leslie said...

Your chocolate cake looks so rich and decadent! What a perfect Valentines dessert that would be! I've never warmed the icing up before spreading it, but that's a really good idea.
Blessings,
Leslie

The Charm of Home said...

There isn't a name for this home on the bottom of this teacup. There isn't enough room for it. Maybe on the plates they are named.
Sherry

Sarah Coller said...

Yum! Sounds like a great way to get the job done!

I love your cup, too---anything British!

Old Time Cindy said...

Sherry,
I need you to pop on over to my blog...I think you may have missed Friday's post...just sayin'! :)
Farmhouse hugs,
Cindy

Red Couch Recipes said...

Great tip. I would have never thought of that one. The icing does look great. Joni

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Yummy chocolate cake, Sherry. I do love that red transferware teacup! Happy Valentines week, my friend. Hope you're over the flu by now.

Blessings,
Sandi

Unknown said...

we usually jut wait, but I do love the freezer idea, thanks for that! :)

Hugs,

Unknown said...

This is so yummy... Loved the cake and great tips...thanks for sharing such a good post!!

power fence

Sylvia said...

Love your heart shaped strawberries!

JP said...

Box cake...canned icing....I'll take a piece! It looks delish!!!

CraveCute said...

What a beautiful piece of cake! Love the way you cut the strawberries too! This is so pretty!

Rebecca said...

I ice sugar cookies by melting the icing. I then pour it into a shallow saucer and dip the top of the cookie in the liquid. Hold it over the icing for a few seconds to let the extra drip off, then turn right side up. The icing dries smooth and shiny. You have to apply any sprinkles right away, or the icing hardens enough that the sprinkles won't stick.

I learned a new trick from a blog today. I used a pastry bag to draw a heart on a cookie, then melted some icing and poured it in the heart and let it spread around and fill in the outline. It looks very classy. Of course I sprinkled it with glittery pink sprinkles, too.

Chenille Cottage said...

The perfect combination....Chocolate and Red and White transferware!
Have a delicious Valentine's Day, Sherry!
Blessings,
Carolynn xoxo

Bernideen said...

What a wonderful chocolate cake and there sure is nothing better! Lovely dishes and post - thanks for linking to Friends Sharing Tea!

Cristina Garay said...

It looks so delicious! I'm going to use that microwave trick next time!

Ivy and Elephants said...

What a neat trick! I've put the cake in the freeze before, but the icing trick is amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with us. Can't wait to try it.
Hugs,
Patti

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a wonderful idea! I'll have to try it next time. The icing looks so smooth.

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Sherry, Thanks for sharing this great cooking tip at Simple & Sweet Fridays. I will definitely try it. Strawberries are so pretty!

Jody

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Sherry, Congrats! You've been featured for this delicious recipe at Simple & Sweet Fridays. Have a wonderful weekend!


Jody