Thursday, June 10, 2010

Foodie Friday: Pecan Chicken Salad

This is the recipe that got me hooked on The Silver Palate Cookbooks.  This recipe is out of The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins.  The Silver Palate girls were know for fresh food and creativity.  Having been raised on a farm with fresh food all summer long this cookbook spoke volumes to me.  The Dallas Morning News called The Silver Palate Cookbook the foodie gold standard with the re-release of it's 25 year anniversary edition.
I love chicken salad.  There are many ways you can make it but, this is my all time favorite version of it.  
Pecan Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
3 pounds , skinless chicken breasts, well rinsed and patted dry
3 cups of water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1 pound of seedless green grapes ( I used red)
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
1 cup diced celery
1 cup chopped fresh dill
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 bunches of watercress ( I used romaine)
Dill sprigs, for garnish
Serves 8
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in a shallow pan.
  2. Bring the water to a boil and add the bouillon cube.  Stir to dissolve.  Pour enough bouillon in the baking pan to just cover the chicken breasts.  Lay a sheet of cooking parchment or aluminum foil over the chicken to cool in the liquid; then discard the liquid.
  3. Shred the chicken into bite-size pieces and place them in a large bowl.  Add the grapes, pecans, celery, and chopped dill, and toss well.
  4. In a separate bowl, mix the sour cream and mayonnaise together.
  5. Toss this into the chicken salad.  Season with salt and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
  6. Serve on a bed watercress or other salad green, garnished with dill sprigs.
I will join:
Your Favorite Cookbook  at Carole's Chatter

15 comments:

Haden News said...

I love this chicken salad and have made it many times...thanks for reminding me of it, it's great for summer entertaining!

Donna (Timeless Settings) said...

Oh, I love chicken salad with red grapes! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

Donna

Shirley said...

This sounds great for a lighter summer meal. Love the added grapes.

Natasha in Oz said...

You always have the yummiest recipes! I might have to bookmark this one though, as it is cold and wintry here! Maybe I should go and look for some of your winter recipes!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Unknown said...

Oh, I LOVE chicken salad AND pecans. This recipe looks heavenly :)

Blessings!
Gail

Tricia said...

We still love the Silver Palate cookbooks at our house! This chicken salad is divine, I agree!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Looks yummy. I have that cookbook, but never use it. I think I'll glance through it. Thanks for the inspiration.

:)
ButterYum

The Tablescaper said...

Yum! Looks delish! Love your presentation.

Hope you'll join me Sunday at "Summer Sundays". It's all about what summer means to YOU!

- The Tablescaper

Sarah said...

We have this cook book and this is one of my favorites. Love chicken salad during the heat of summer. ~ Sarah

Gypsy Heart said...

Yes, this chicken salad is divine! Thanks for sharing and the reminder. I recently moved and most of my cookbooks haven't been unpacked.

Hope you have a blessed weekend!

Pat

Renée said...

Delightful, one of my favorite things this time of the year. It's such a great go to and you can do so much with it. My recipe is a little different, I use almonds, but I'm anxious to try yours too. Thank you...happiness to you!

My Slice of Heaven said...

Yummy on a hot summer day! I think I might make this weekend. Thanks for sharing. Anita

Debbie said...

Oh yum...this looks wonderful! LOVE your dishes...soooo beachy!
Your blog is really nice.
Debbie@houseatthelake

Carole said...

thanks for linking this in Sherry. Have a good one

qonc1 said...

This is the best recipe for a summer gathering. I often have this for a summer movie night or special event. Serve with cheese biscuits, watermelon and wine or drinks of choice!

Always a crowd favorite!