Tuesday, August 25, 2026

The Shortening Days

Summer's End
The days are now getting shorter in the Northern Hemisphere. Can you feel it? You know summer is just weeks away from ending.

Baby Sparrows
And yet, the baby birds are still slumbering in my garden. Yet another sparrow has made an eye-level nest at the top of a tomato.

Summer's End
There is still so much beauty everywhere, and yet I know it is going to change soon.

Vintage Flower Doorstop

“Just ask the animals, and they will teach you.
    Ask the birds of the sky, and they will tell you.
 Speak to the earth, and it will instruct you.
    Let the fish in the sea speak to you.
 For they all know...

Job 12:7-9

In Victory
Sherry

4 comments:

Modrina Neba said...

The days are short, I've noticed, it gets dark quickly, and if it's cloudy, it's really terrible. Even my mornings with the pug have been in the dark for some time... we're out early at 5:00 AM but just for a short while :)) Wishing you a nice day, Andreja!

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I hear you dear Sherry. Still soaking up these last summer moments - but I am ready to welcome the new season too. I love Autumn and I hope it will be a long and beautiful one here in the northwoods. :)

MELODY JACOB said...

I really felt this one because there is something bittersweet about noticing the days getting shorter while everything around you is still full of life. The little sparrows nesting right on top of the tomato made me smile because nature carries on with its own plans regardless of the season. I also love that you noticed the beauty that is still here instead of rushing ahead to mourn summer before it has actually left. That is something I often find myself doing too, especially when I am outside and suddenly realise the light has changed and the evenings are arriving earlier. The Job passage fits beautifully with the whole post as well, because sometimes sitting quietly in a garden and paying attention to the birds, flowers and changing light really does teach you things.

The Charm of Home said...

Thanks for your comment Melody! I am glad you saw the correlation between the verse and my pictures. I enjoy your visits to Scotland.