Thursday, June 1, 2023

The Cottage Kitchen: Victoria Sponge Cake

Cottage Kitchen

It occurred to me that I could cook on my cottage table where the light was good and start bringing you cottage kitchen posts. So today I debut the "Cottage Kitchen", from "Victory Cottage." The name Victory Cottage is a spinoff of the Victory Gardens of the WWII era but with a twist. I'll let you read and discover the twist. So, where do you find the Victory Cottage? It is the name of my new Instagram account. You can find it here: @victory_cottage_.  The Charm of Home will remain the main blog, and I will post all the same things at both places. 

Cottage Kitchen
So let's chat. Where have I been for four years? I was homeschooling one of my children. A lot has happened in the last four years. I have been most excited to tell you that I have also expanded the cottage garden a lot, which I will be sharing. I plan to post each week on the cottage garden, the cottage kitchen, and a cottage tea. 

Cottage Kitchen
What am I making today in the kitchen today? It is a Victoria sponge cake. I made it in a 6-inch pan. I will be making a lot of sweets in smaller sizes. A full-size dessert is just too much for us now, so the smaller sweets will be perfect.

Cottage Kitchen
I am going to embellish this cake with edible pansies. Photographing myself cooking is a new thing. I am still getting used to it.

Cottage Kitchen
Pansies are one of my favorite flowers for spring. They look good on the front porch or on the food! 

Cottage Kitchen
The peonies and a lovely coral pink tulip have bloomed, and I put them together and really liked the color combination. 

Cottage Kitchen: The Charm of Home
The Victoria sponge cake, adorned with pansies. I love pretty food, but I will admit I have a really hard time with the Victoria sponge cake. Do any of you have a full-proof recipe? The recipes I have tried have always said it was the easiest cake, yet every time I make it, I don't find it so easy. I got this recipe from "Naked Cakes: Simply Beautiful Handmade Creations" by Lyndel Miller. The filling and frosting are her Chantilly Cream recipe.  

Welcome back, and I can't wait to create more cottage content for you! Cottage has always been my style, and it has resurfaced! 

In Victory, 
Sherry

3 comments:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Sherry! I just love your little cake! So beautiful with that gorgeous blue china. Makes a gorgeous picture. J.

Daniela said...

Sherry Dear,
How glad I'm to have news from you!
I'm Daniela from ~ My little old world ~ (Dany) and I'm so glad to read a post from you, to watch your so lovely shots with your so beautiful blue china and your intention to write cottage style recipes, I love them!
Honestly I've already tried a recipe of the Victoria Sponge Cake, as I wrote in a post of mine: it was Mrs Beeton's one and I succeeded although I suppose it to be if not the very first, one of the first written.
Click HERE if you want to have a look at it, sweet Lady (to read the text in English you've to scroll down the page).
Sending hugs and more hugs to you
X Daniela

Mrs. White said...

I am delighted to see you are blogging again! This is a lovely post. God bless!