Thursday, June 8, 2023

The Cottage Kitchen: Strawberry Shortcake

 Cottage Kitchen: Strawberry Shortcake

I am back in the cottage kitchen today, baking. I have a lot of vintage kitchen items, and I will be using

some of those today. 

Strawberry Shortcake
It is strawberry season at Victory Cottage, and I will be making strawberry shortcake from a recipe I found on Pinterest. This is old-fashioned strawberry shortcake, just like Grandma's recipe. 

Strawberry Shortcake
The rolling pin was made by my great grandfather. He used to have a wood shop on his farm, and I loved to go in there as a child. It would always smell like the most recent wood shavings he had amassed on the floor from a recent project. I especially loved the smell of cedar.

Strawberry Shortcake
I am going to do this right; I am baking the shortcakes in my grandmother's cast iron skillet.

Strawberry Shortcake
I rolled my shortcake out about an inch thick and didn't fold the dough as the recipe suggested. 

Strawberry ShortcakeThey came out really nice. Tall with the flaky layers I was hoping for.

Strawberry Shortcake
I split them open with the fork and added the whipped cream, some strawberry topping, and then put the top back on the whole thing and added more whipped cream and a few strawberries.

Strawberry Shortcake
A strawberry success! The family has enjoyed it; I really like cooking with fresh food in season. In late May and June, strawberries are delightful.

I found this recipe here: Classic Strawberry Shortcake

What is your favorite strawberry dessert?

In Victory,

Sherry

1 comment:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

What an inspiration! I love strawberry shortcake! J.