Monday, June 5, 2023

The Cottage Garden

Cottage Garden

I have always wanted a cottage garden. In the last four years, we have created one, and it is a pleasure to be in it. 

Cottage Garden

I really started this quest with the desire to have an herb garden. I was very fond of this book, and it remains one of my favorite books. It is full of illustrations by a famous children's book author and illustrator, Tasha Tudor.  

Cottage Garden

I began buying herbs from a local retailer, and then I tried to grow the plants that were in this book that weren't for sale locally. This is lovage. I always thought it would be so handy because of how the book describes it as a substitute for celery. I tried growing it a few times. It isn't hard to grow; it just didn't always overwinter. It is a perennial and will come back each year. I now have a successful lovage plant that came back this year and is very robust. 

Cottage garden

 I have found the most success with flowers. Most are really easy to grow from seed. 

Cottage Garden

It helps everything in the garden when you grow a large variety of flowers because it brings in beneficial insects. 

Cottage Garden

So join me as I blog some photos of the cottage garden each week in the spring, summer, and fall. You never know who might pop up in the photos. 

Cottage Garden: Cottage Cat

In Victory,
Sherry

1 comment:

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Congratulations on your lovage plant! Looks Lovely! J.