Monday, March 27, 2017

The Priceless Value of Knowing Christ

The Priceless Value of Knowing Christ

An excerpt of a letter from Paul to the Philippians.


Whatever happens, my dear brothers and sisters, rejoice in the Lord. I never get tired of telling you these things, and I do it to safeguard your faith. 

                                                               Philippians 3:1

Again, and again, the Lord says put no confidence in humans.

Watch out for those dogs, those people who do evil, those mutilators who say you must be circumcised to be saved. For we worship by the Spirit of God are the ones who are truly circumcised. We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. We put no confidence in human effort, though I could have confidence in my own effort if anyone could.  Indeed, if others have reason for confidence in their own efforts, I have even more!

                                                               Philippians 3:2-4

And the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the Lord your God with all of your heart and with all of your soul, that you may live.
                                                               Deuteronomy 30:6 

Paul explains his background.

I was circumcised when I was eight days old. I am a pure-blooded citizen of Israel and a member of the tribe of Benjamin-a real Hebrew if there ever was one! I was a member of the Pharisees, who demand the strictest obedience to the Jewish law. I was so zealous that I hardly persecuted the church. And as for righteousness, I obeyed the law without fault.

                                                                Philippians 3:5-6

The only thing you need to do is to seek Christ Jesus and become one with him, everything else is garbage.

I once thought these things were valuable, but I now consider them worthless because of what Christ has done. Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ and become one with him. I no longer count on my own righteousness through obeying the law; rather, I become righteous through faith in Christ. For God's way of making us right with himself depends on faith. I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead. I want to suffer with him sharing in his death, so that one way or another I will experience the resurrection from the dead!

                                                                 Philippians 3:7-11

And this is the way to have eternal life-to know you , the only true God, and Jesus Christ, the one you sent to earth.
                                                                John 17:3

Pressing toward the goal. 

I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on the one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. Let all who are spiritually mature agree on these things. If you disagree on some point, I believe God will make it plain to you. But we must hold onto the progress we have already made. 

                                                               Philippians 3:12-16

Live as a citizen of heaven.

Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example. For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth. But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control.

                                                            Philippians 3:17-21

You have shown me the way of life, and you will fill me with the joy of your presence and the pleasure of living with you forever.
                                                           Psalms 16:11

If you are following along, the Lord is guiding you: 

  • Put no confidence in humans (or it is written, flesh) 
  • Seek Christ Jesus and become one with him (Our Identity in Christ)
  • Persevere
  • Live as a citizen of heaven (resource)



Blessings to you,
Sherry

I will be linking up with these parties:
Mommy Moments at Life of Faith- Sun evening
The Art of Home-Making Mondays at Strangers & Pilgrims
Moments of Hope at Lori Schumaker
Monday's Musings at What Joy is Mine
Tuesday Talk with Sarah E. Frazer
Coffee and Conversation at Pat and Candy.com- Tues eve
Tell Us His Story at Jennifer Dukes Lee- Tues eve
Grace Moments at Journeys in Grace
Thought Provoking Thursdays at 3-D Lessons for Life
Grace and Truth at Above the Waves
Fresh Market Friday Crystal Twaddell
Faith and Friends at Counting My Blessings
Tuesday Cuppa Tea at Antiques and Teacups 

3 comments:

janice15 said...

This was nice Sherry, I have learned so much in the past six eight months. Which I'm so very grateful for. I know I have much to learn. But I'm working on allowing Jesus to guide me. I'm attending Sunday church regularly and Wednesdays bible im working and will start disciple class in April on Saturdays . . Can't wait lovely post thank you for sharing with love Janice

The Charm of Home said...

That's awesome Janice! Thanks for sharing this! May God bless you!

Lori Schumaker said...

Hi Sherry,

Loving others well yet not putting our trust in them is so difficult for us humans, isn't it? We know the Word and the Truth. We know God is the only One in whom we can trust, yet when we love, we slip into trusting in the wrong way. Thank you for the reminder. Humans are humans and will fall short and fail us, therefore our trust is in the LORD!

Thanks so much for sharing this hope at #MomentsofHope!
Blessings and smiles,
Lori