Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Vegan Mashed Potatoes

Vegan Mashed Potatoes: The Charm of Home
I have wanted to make mashed potatoes before and couldn't come up with the best way to make them without using dairy. This past week I got a copy of Moosewood Restaurant Favorites and they had the solution to my comfort food quandary.  They use garlic and bay leaf to give the potatoes a rich flavor and olive oil and the cooking water from boiling the potatoes to mash them into a fluffy delight.  They were not creamy but a desirable consistency that satisfied nicely without any dairy. 

Vegan Mashed White Potato

Any variety of potato will work but the cookbook did recommend a buttery flavored potato like Yukon Gold.  
*A great tip was that the left over potatoes will give you a great start to any cream or pureed soup base.  The potato cooking water can also be used to provide flavor in many soups for dairy free cooking.

Ingredients:
8 cups of water
1 teaspoon salt
6 garlic cloves
2 bay leaves
6 cups peeled and chopped potatoes
1 to 2 tablespoons extra-virgin light tasting olive oil
salt 
ground black pepper

Place the water, salt, garlic cloves, and bay leaves into a covered pot.  Bring to a boil on high heat.  While the water heats prep the potatoes, and add them to the water as you chop them up.  When the water boils, lower the heat and simmer for 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender.
Place a large colander over a large bowl and drain the potatoes, collect the cooking water in the bowl.  Remove and discard the bay leaves.  Using a hand masher or an electric mixer, mash the potatoes and garlic with the olive oil and enough of the reserved cooking water (maybe up to a cup) to reach the desired consistency.  Season with salt and black pepper to taste and serve hot.
Serves: 6
Enjoy!

Sherry


I will link this to:

Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
Homemaking Linkup at Hope In Every Season 
Tickle My Taste Buds Tuesdays at Lori's Culinary Creations
Fridays Unfolded at Nancherrow
Weekend Retreat Linky Party at AKA Design  and Life
Foodie Friends Friday at Walking on Sunshine
Rooted in Thyme Simple and Sweet Fridays
Share Your Cup Thursday at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olsen   

4 comments:

Susan Freeman said...

I am not vegan, but I have tried several vegan recipes and have enjoyed all of them. I will give these potatoes a try!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Linda Walker said...

I made garlic smashed red-skinned potatoes tonight but used milk. I have often wondered about using some of the water they are boiled in. They certainly look just as good! I think I will try it that way the next time I make them! Enjoy the rest of the week!
Linda
mysewwhatblog

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Sounds delicious, I will have to try it! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Unknown said...

I always add garlic to my regular mashed potatoes - I'm a garlic fiend lol
My daughter ( a vegan ) makes it like yours - and it's just as delicious as regular mashed !
xox