Monday, January 7, 2013

Tea & Barnwood

I am showing off this new-to-me teacup today.  I found it at the thrift store before Christmas.  After practicing my photography in December with the photo-a-day challenge I am getting back to basics for the new year with just a single cup of tea featured on my new prop, barnwood.

This just isn't any barnwood, it comes from a barn I grew up playing in.  It stills smells like tobacco.  The tobacco used to hang up in the rafters to dry after it was harvested.  It would hang up there from August till fall and then it would go to market.

My Mom always said the day I was born my Dad was out cutting tobacco.

So even though I have the lens focused on all the detail of this cup.  I can still smell the tobacco on this wood and remember home.  
The cup is Ridgway Ironstone, the pattern Canterbury.

Sherry

 I will link this to:
 Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tea Cup Tuesday at Artful Affirmations
Table Top Tuesday  at A Stroll Thru Life 
Friends Sharing Tea at Bernideen's Tea Time Blog 
Tea Talk at The Teaist

17 comments:

Old Time Cindy said...

Your photos make me smile. I like the combination of rustic with pretty. Can't get any more farmhouse than that!
Hugs from my farmhouse,
Cindy

Unknown said...

Sherry,
what a lovely piece of history you have. The barn wood is showing a great coloring. Your tea cup works so well as the colors play off each other..and so the the color of the tea..just wonderful..
~Shirley

Nanna said...

what a beautiful teacup,this makes me want to go searching for more lol! thanks for stopping by Nannas Place today
Helen

Maggie Ann said...

Your teacup and saucer are beautiful and your memories are charming. How special a day can be...and a memory.

JP said...

Hi Sherry, Love your new cup and your photos are just beautiful....can't wait 'til the end of this month when I will get my new camera to play around with!
JP

Snap said...

Your Canterbury Ridgeway Ironstone teacup is lovely. I really enjoyed hearing about the barnwood and your memories. Delightful! Great combination. Beautiful photos. Happy Tea Day!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a pretty cup, Sherry! My dear hubby made me a box for my table from old barn wood and I just love it.

Cynthia said...

This is a lovely teacup. The pattern is so pretty.

Cynthia

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So sweet to have a piece that brings back memories, love your "new" tea cup too!

Terri said...

Canterbury is a lovely pattern! What a great find at the thrift store!
The barnwood is a great backdrop, and with such a sweet story. We must live somewhat near each other, as there are tobacco barns here too.
Hugs,
Terri

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

A pretty teacup, Sherry, and I enjoyed the story with it! Thanks for coming to tea and Happy New Year!

Blessings,
Sandi

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Tea and Barnwood -- a lovely combination, especially with all of the memories evoked from the smell of this special wood.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

I love the story of the barnwood! How special and meaningful. Your photos are great, but I especially love the first one.

lilmom said...

The last photo of your new/old teacup is my favorite. I love that it shows the little bit of flower print on the inside lip of the cup. Gorgeous pattern! And the personal story of the bar wood is a bonus for this tea break. Thanks for sharing.

Bernideen said...

Wonderful cup and saucer - smells sure do cause reflection!

Cristina Garay said...

Beautiful pictures, beautiful post! Lovely tea cup and saucer.

Life according to Lenetta said...

Hi, Great post. I found you through the blog hop. Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.
Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Here's the link in case you want to check it out. Thanks again.http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-html