Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vintage Thingie Tablescape

I thought it would be fun today to mix up two parties for Thursday I usually don't put together.  Vintage Thingie Thursday with Suzanne at her blog Coloradolady and Tablescape Thursday with Susan at her blog Between Naps on the Porch.  After we look at the tablescape will have a quiz about what the vintage thingies are on the table.

Forsythia is usually one of the first things you see blooming, I thought it would be pretty.  Not pushing spring at all am I?

I have done something different here.  I mixed French country with my Kentucky antiques.  On the cover of two magazines in January I saw that country has gone global.  It really does cross over now more than ever.  We all are admiring French, Swedish, Belgium, and put another country in here, design much to the credit of blogs and it is wonderful.  Mix it up, I think it is okay.

I haven't really got any French pottery but, Better Homes and Gardens has got it covered at Walmart.  Just in case we doubt country has gone global, exhibit A.

Okay, now on to my eclectic centerpieceI really get this inspiration from the many State Park restaurants and BBQ restaurants I grew up visiting as a resident of the Southeast of the US.  In the really atmospheric establishments I can always remember wonderful vintage thingies hanging on the walls, on shelving, and in the entry.  You might know what I mean if you have a Cracker Barrel near you. 

Now for the quiz: (answers will be at the very bottom of post)
Vintage thingie #1
What is the large brown object with the crank on it?

Vintage thingie #2
What is this?  This is the top.

And, this is the bottom.

Vintage thingie #3
What is this?
Thanks for playing along.  I enjoy doing something completely different, so I thought this would be fun.  Go and visit these two wonderful blogs to view more vintage thingies and tablescapes.

Vintage item #1  butter churn
Vintage item #2 washing stick (simple machine)  Your really the machine aren't you!
Vintage item #3 ice tongs (for hauling a block of ice into the ice box)

31 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the mix! I got the ice tongs!! lol...this was fun.

Unknown said...

Your table scape is great. I love the simplicity of it. And I had a good time guessing what the vintage items were for.
Thanks for sharing
Traci

Debbie said...

Love vintage things. I got the first and last ones since my mom has them both on display at her house. The middle, I didn't get.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Your photos in this post are incredible! Did you do something different? Not that your photos aren't always great. But the light on these is very unique. Love the way you mixed it up. I think we should have fun with these things! Our everyday dishes are from Walmart.
Brenda

Unknown said...

This is an exception post. I agree with the above the lighting is amazing. Oh do I ever know the churn. Would cry when it was my turn.
QMM

Sarah said...

Being from Texas I've eaten at many a restaurants with vintage decor. I always find it interesting. Your butter churn is my favorite. Great post! ~ Sarah

podso said...

Love your pewter. The tablescape is lovely!

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...

Wonderful post. I knew the first and last one, but the second one puzzled me. Can't imagine how it was used. I have a butter churn like yours except larger that belonged to my Great Grandmother. I have never seen a small one like yours. Love it!!! ~~Sherry~~

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Sherry, this is such a charming tablescape. I love those dishes. All of your vintage thingys make such a unique and interesting centerpiece. The only one I knew was the ice tongs. I was afraid that washing thingy might be a toilet plunger!! laurie

Meredith said...

thanks for your comment! I love your centerpiece. I didn't know the washing stick, but I guessed right on the other two:) your pictures are really beautiful.

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Girl I knew them all as I have them all ha ha!! Now my Ice tongs I use for paper towels in my kitchen and the hand washer I use for extra TP in my out house bathroom..butter churn is in the barn..Just table looks wonderful my friend..Hugs and smiles Gloria

By the Bluegrass said...

What a lovely vintage french country table! I love the rustic wood look with the pretty china look.
xo,
Sena

Anonymous said...

i LOVE that sweet round butter churn..i've never seen one like it!!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

What a perfect vintage tablescape...and with trivia also! I love antiques and "unique" things...thanks for sharing!!!

Donnie said...

Got the butter churn and the ice tongs but guess I never washed clothes...lol....I love your tablescape because it was so bright and cheery.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I have an ice holder like that! love the decor, really love the transferware vase!

Velva said...

I love vintage table settings-it brings so much character. I would have never guessed the items :-)

Stopping by to say hello. This is my first time visiting your blog.

Velva

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Yes, I love this look. I like that last backlit shot where you bring out the grain of the table! So evocative!

Maggie said...

Great eclectic mix of objects on your table today,Sherry.
I got the first & second, wasn't sure about the third.
In 1950's England my Nana had a version of #2, made of wood with a rubber plunger on the end. I think she called it a dolly?

bj said...

Well, first of all...I knew instantly what all 3 of the vintage items were so that makes ME vintage...not quite 100, so I am NOT an antique..just a vintage grandmother. :))

Next, I have the same Country French dishes from Better Homes and Gardens and Walmart and just love them. I only bought one set last year and wanted another set so much. Found a set, minus the cups, at our local Goodwill and did I ever do the happy dance. :))

I adore your table. Just precious. I prefer this type table setting over the formal. Shows much more personality, in my eyes, anyway.:))

Jocelyn said...

Love your vintage tablescape. Very creative.

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

a quiet life said...

love your photography~

Anonymous said...

Very nice post, your tablescape is very smart.

Diann said...

Well, I knew the first and last one. We have two of the old ice block tongs hanging in the shed at our cabin. I love this table. The pure simplistic rustic country feel of it is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Thnk you for telling us what thing #3 is. My childhood home had an abandoned barn with some of the tools and such still in it. This was one of the things hanging on the wall. We never knew what it was. Sadly that house was torn down by the current owner a few years ago, but I'm glad for those memories . Now I'll know what to call this thing I picture in my mind.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Sherry...

Ohhh my goodness...I just adore your vintage table, my friend! Not only is it beautiful but it's sooo interesting with all of your vintage wares displayed! I had fun trying to guess what they were...I knew that #3 were tongs but I didn't have a clue as to what #2 was...and the butter churn...well, it's the first one that I've seen like this! Sooo very interesting! I love the pretty pops of yellow that you brought into your tablescape with the forsythia...gorgeous! And...the brown transferware vase is really beautiful! I think that the brown transferware is becoming harder and harder to find these days...beautiful piece!

Sherry, your photos are outstanding! I really enjoyed seeing how you used the light and shadows! Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous vintage table with us...it was a real treat, my friend!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

Maureen said...

The funnel and churn are awesome!!

Coloradolady said...

Oh, those ice tongs are great! I love the charm of the dishes and the rustic flare. Glad you linked in today! Happy VTT!

Legacy of Love said...

great vintage pretties!

Marigene said...

Love your unique table...love the plates...I can see them in several different settings.

Entertaining Women said...

I love the texture, the colors, and the interesting shapes that you've used in your tablescape. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay