I have wanted to make this lattice-top pie for years. The lattice top is a little more time-consuming and I do all of my cooking at a fast pace, so making time for a pie was not at the top of the list. As I watered the garden, I noticed there were some flowers that were perfect for what I had planned to do with this pie, so I made the time to get this done.
Peach Pie
Makes a 9-inch pie
Ingredients:
2 pounds of fresh ripe peaches, peeled, sliced, and chopped
1/2 cup sugar
pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
1/3 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 Pillsbury pie crust (or recipe for double crust pie)
1 tablespoon butter
1-2 teaspoons sugar, for sprinkling on top of pie
Egg wash
1 egg white plus 1 tablespoon water, beaten with fork
Instructions:Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C)
Cut the peaches and place in a large bowl with sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, lemon, salt, flour, and cornstarch. Stir and lightly coat the fruit with all these ingredients.
Place the room temperature pie crust into the pie plate and pierce the bottom with fork tines.
Spoon the pie filling into the bottom pie crust in the pie pan. Dot the top of the fruit with little pieces of the butter. With the remaining pie dough, I laid it out on a pastry cloth and cut my lattice pieces. Lay the lattice top as the pattern shows. weaving the pieces over and under as is customary with this type of pie. when finished, I used the remaining dough or another pie crust from another box of Pillsbury pie crust and placed the dough strips into a pie crust mold to make the woven edge. Use a small ramekin with warm water and take your finger dipped in the water to seal the woven edge over the edge of the pie without crushing the design.
Bake for 20 minutes at 425°F. I also put a pie crust guard on the edge at this time (It can be made with aluminum foil). Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 25 minutes more.
When that time is up, take the pie out and sprinkle the top with sugar. Take the pie crust guard off at this time and continue baking at 350°F for 5-10 minutes more. When you see the filling is bubbling between the lattice top, it is done. Remove pie and place on cooling rack to rest for at least and hour or more before serving. I take the flowers off and serve with whipped topping.
Recipe adapted from : Art of the Pie by Kate McDermott
Flowers used were: roses, pansies, zinnias, statice, and Veronica.






No comments:
Post a Comment