Monday, March 18, 2024

Plants for a Cottage Garden

Plants for a Cottage Garden
So I have been trying to create a cottage garden for at least 12 years. It is a labor of love. When searching for what plants are considered cottage garden plants, much to my surprise, I found most of them now growing in my garden. Maybe not growing all at once in the same year, but most of them. 

Plants for a Cottage Garden
What is the first plant you think of in a cottage garden? For me, it is the rose. I have tried roses with success. This rose in particular. It is an old garden rose called Zephirine Drouhin.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Peonies, this one is Sarah Bernhardt. 

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Daylilies: this variety grows wild here and lines the roads in the country in late spring. I dug this up and brought it here from my grandmother's house. I don't know its name.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Shasta daisies, which also grow wild here in the summer and they line the highways in the country.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Salvia; this one is Victoria blue. The bumble bees love these! 

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Catmint- some of the cats love this.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Violets, which grow wild here also, this clump was volunteer and wild, and I eventually pulled it, but it is beautiful.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Foxglove, I have not successfully kept these going in the yard. I will try again this year.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Hollyhock, I am not sure which one this is. I have completely different ones coming up this year. 

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Bachelor's button: these are the classic romantic variety.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Feverfew, this is white wonder. It is an heirloom double feverfew, and it comes back every year.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Dianthus are also called cottage pinks.

Plants for a Cottage Garden 
Chamomile, I just love the herbs, and thankfully, they have been easy to grow. Borage is at the bottom right of this picture.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Lavender, I am not sure which one this is, but fern leaf lavender is really easy to grow from seed. 

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Hydrangea, this is not from my yard. I have a small one, but I took this picture on vacation years ago at the Columbia restaurant in St. Augustine, FL. 

Plants for a Cottage Garden
The bearded Iris. I have no idea what this is called, but my grandmother gave them to me, and I brought them here and planted them. They used to grow along a fence row in front of my house when I was little.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Calendula, this sort of looks like strawberry blonde, but I am not sure. It also might be flashback or zeolights; they are all similar.

Plants for a cottage garden
Clematis; this one is Nelly Moser. It has never climbed, but it weaves through this small garden of daylilies and coreopsis.

Plants for a cottage garden 
Nasturtium, I believe this is cherry rose.

Plants for a cottage garden
Ferns, if you have a shady spot, are wonderful. This is a cinnamon fern.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Yarrow, I love this one, it comes back every year, and the fernlike foliage is beautiful.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
A geranium in a terra cotta pot. They have to be in the clay pot; it is just a classic! I buy these every year from our local Future Farmers of America greenhouse sale. They do a fantastic job growing these.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Cosmos, I think this is rubenza.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Black eyed susan, this is another plant that grows wild here in the summer and lines the country roads under the partial shade of a tree. This variety is Indian summer.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Zinnias, all of them! You can never have too many zinnias.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Marigolds, dwarf French marigolds are a classic. I also like strawberry blonde. This year, I am hoping to grow white ones.

I also have two lilac bushes, but they have never had their picture taken. I am not sure why.
So these plants are growing this year, and hopefully they will come up. The foxglove and hollyhock were new additions last year. I am also trying sweet peas and echinacea. I have the fondest memory of a sweet pea with a wonderful scent growing every year by an old Victorian home that was on the farm where I grew up, and it has me nostalgically trying to recreate that in my garden.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
And be sure if you create your cottage garden to stop and smell the flowers and enjoy the wildlife.

Plants for a Cottage Garden
Scenes from my cottage garden. I definitely have Beatrix Potter's eye behind the camera lens. These two little kittens have a story all their own.

In Victory, 
Sherry

4 comments:

Bernideen said...

Oh how wonderful - how we do love our gardens and they are a delight. Your flowers are so lovely. We had 3 days of cold again in Missouri but tomorrow our warm weather comes back so I can't wait. I look forward to your garden photos too.

Mrs. White said...

The flowers are so charming and beautiful. A cottage garden sounds lovely!

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

Hello Sherry,
Thanks so much for visiting me at Harvest Lane Cottage.
Your flowers are breathtaking! Last year we had white Vincas and a variety of Zinnas in my front garden bed. I want to grow even more flowers this year. I'm looking forward to planting soon.
Blessings!
Laura

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

I love flowers so much - they go right to my soul! And I have lovely day lilies, hydrangea, and even peonies I transplanted from somewhere else. I so hope they actually bloom this year! Plus I do a raised garden bed for some veggies. And pots for more flowers that I tuck a few fairies in here and there for charm. And pots for herbs. It all brings me so much joy! Blessings on your gardens ahead. xo