Monday, September 15, 2014

Chunky Apple Walnut Cake with a Caramel Glaze

I am rounding out my apple recipes today with this Chunky Apple Walnut Cake with a Caramel Glaze.  I used a vintage tube cake pan and it was smaller than the recipe called for so, I had enough of the batter to make a small loaf pan full also.  The vintage tube pan measured 8 1/2 inches across ( The recipe called for a 10-inch tube pan) and the loaf pan was 7 3/8 x 3 5/8 x 2 1/4.  I am telling you this because the cake came out wonderful in the loaf pan also.  

We are celebrating the arrival of fall here this week so, by all means, light some fall candles and make your self a pot of tea or coffee to enjoy the transition into this season! Make your tea a ritual of calm, something you truly enjoy.

I always have to get some seasonal candles at this time of the year.  I found these at Bath & Bodyworks.  They didn't compensate me for this post in anyway, but I have to tell you they smell really good!  The Caramel Pumpkin Swirl was my favorite!!  It smelled as good as the caramel glaze I made for this cake.  The whole kitchen was smelling like a candy kitchen!

All of my transferware have the same colors but, none of it matches.  The cup has no name on it and I am not sure of the pattern.  It is marked 'Made in England.'  The saucer is Olde English Countryside by Johnson Brothers, the slice of cake is on His Majesty by Johnson Brothers, and the cake itself is on Asiatic Pheasant by Royal Stafford.

This cake is a perfect fall recipe.  It is moist, full of bites of apples, and bits of walnuts.  Just the right amount of richness, sweetness, and chewiness to pair with a steaming cup of coffee or tea when there is a chill in the air.  

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups oil (I used canola)
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups shelled walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 cups peeled, coarsely chopped Gala apples
3 tablespoons apple rum

Caramel Glaze:
1/4 cup butter. cut into pieces
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted


Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
In a large bowl, beat oil and sugar until thick and opaque.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.  In another medium to large bowl mix flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt.  Add to oil and egg mixture until well blended.
Add walnuts, apple chunks, and rum all at once and stir until pieces are evenly distributed.  
Pour batter into a 10-round tube pan.  Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  
Let the cake rest for 10 minutes, then unmold and let cake cool completely.  

Glaze:
In a saucepan over medium heat melt butter, brown sugar, cream and salt. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat.  Boil hard for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and let set for 10 minutes.   
Beat in confectioners sugar until smooth.
Immediately pour glaze over the cake. 

Recipe Source:  adapted from The Silver Palate Cookbook. 

Sherry
I will link this to:
  
Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tea Cup Tuesday at Artful Affirmations
Tuesday Cuppa Tea at Antiques and Teacups 
Friends Sharing Tea at Bernideen's Tea Time Blog 
Rooted in Thyme Simple and Sweet Fridays
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style

Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Say G'Day at Natasha in Oz
Cottage Style Party at Lavender Garden Cottage 
Share Your Cup Thursday at Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olsen
Your Going to Love it Tuesday At Kathe with an E
Project Inspire at Cupcakes and Crinoline
The Scoop at Confessions of a Plate Addict
Weekends are Fun Party at Oh My Heartsie Girl
Time Travel Tuesdays at Brambleberry Cottage
Wake Up Wednesday at Sew Crafty Angel
Apple Link Up at I-Lost in Austen   

21 comments:

Deborah Montgomery said...

This looks delicious Sherry, and so perfect for fall. I need to get out my Johnson Brothers brown transferware too; it just goes with autumn, don't you think?

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Mmmm, your cake looks delicious, Sherry! Love anything with caramel. The candle is no doubt lovely and I will look for it at our Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Perhaps they carry it. Funny how so many of us were enamoured by Diana. I wore my hair like hers for years. She was and will always be unforgettable! Thanks for stopping by and joining me for Tea Time.

Blessings,
Sandi

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

Comment résister à la tentation de vouloir goûter à votre gâteau aux pommes au noix ?!... Les photos sont superbes ! Merci pour le partage de la recette.

L'ambiance automnale est donnée... J'aime celle des bougies.
Une jolie publication.

Gros bisous ♡

Antiques And Teacups said...

Oh bou does that look good! I was just looking for an apple cake recipe....perfect!
Ruth

Bernideen said...

That looks like it tastes and smells wonderful! Great for FALL!

Beth in NEPA said...

I have copied that recipe!!! It sounds sooooooooo good.

deb said...

I've printed out your recipe, this looks absolutely delish! I'll be receiving a lug of apples from my daughter-in-laws aunt this week! Can't wait. Yes, this time of year I turn to candles too, I guess they have a way of making home feel cozy...altho we are still using the AC!! Cooler weather will hopefully come soon as I am one that is totally ready! And this year it better bring some rain!!
*hugs*deb

Ivy and Elephants said...

This sounds so delicious! I had a recipe for fresh apple cake that I lost.
I think I just found my new replacement! Thanks for sharing it!
Hugs,
Patti

Debi said...

Told hubby about this when I saw it earlier so back to get the recipe. He loves apple anything! Thanks for the share and congrats on your feature! Have a lovely evening! :)

Poppy said...

Hi Sherry,

Your post today is full of fall inspiration. Apples, walnuts, (we grow our own and harvest time is fast approaching!), spicy sweetness and cozy gatherings to enjoy the mix of these autumnal ingredients are all inviting ways to welcome the upcoming season. Thanks so much for sharing!

Poppy

FABBY'S LIVING said...

OH!... I TOTALLY WANT A PIECE RIGHT NOW!!!
Thanks for the recipe, this cake looks awesome, along with your dishes!
FABBY

Jacoba said...

Such a pretty teacup there, it is a pity we cannot see more of it.
The recipe looks very inviting to make.

Kathy said...

This looks delicious! I do appreciate you sharing with A Return to Loveliness,
Kathy

Zoe said...

Hi Sherry,

I like your country style apple cake! It looks very comforting and warming to eat for autumn.

Greetings from Australia! Nice to know you via Little Thumbs Up and blogging. I'm happy to be your latest follower and hope that you can follow my blog too.

Cheers!

Zoe

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Wow Sherry, this looks delicious! Caramel is my weakness. Thanks for sharing this with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Deb @ Lavender Garden Cottage said...

Yum Sherry! That cake has me drooling! I'm going to make it this weekend!

Kit @ i-lostinausten said...

Hi Sherry,
This is the perfect tea time treat . Looks & sounds delicious ,a great fall treat .Thank you so much for sharing this lovely recipe with us at LTU . Have a nice day ;)

Kameel huise tussen spore said...

You cake just look so wonderful. Have copied your recipe. Will give it a go soon.
Thanks for sharing
Blessings from South Africa
Sandra

Daytona Damsel said...

Now I have a tea party so I can serve this cake. Thanks for the recipe.

Karren Haller said...

What a great time of year for this recipe, thanks for stopping by to share on Weekend Fun Party, hope you will again this week http://ohmyheartsiegirl.com/weekend-fun-party/karren
Have a great weekend
Karren

Con Delight said...

I actually don't quite like cakes with nuts and fruits, but sometimes i do give it a try and find it kinda tasty and this cake is probably a one i will like. Thanks