Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Crock Pot Italian Pot Roast

Here is a comfort food dish that always hits the spot in our house.  I decided to stir things up a bit by making this weekend's pot roast with Italian herbs.  The results were fantastic.  Son number one said that it was the best pot roast I had ever made.   Funny how children get older and give you compliments.....I'm still trying to get used to it.  Something happens when children finally get through the teen years, they turn into nice people! 

Ingredients:
3-4 pound chuck roast
5-7 cloves garlic, smashed with knife
5 small white onions, peeled
2 carrots, peeled
2 large potatoes, cubed
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried rosemary 
3/4 cup water

Lightly oil the crock pot.  Pat the roast dry with paper towels and place in crock pot.  In a small bowl mix the salt and dried herbs.  Sprinkle herb mixture over pot roast.  Use a large knife turned flat and smash the garlic cloves, then peel.  (The smashed garlic releases the most health benefits for your dish.)  Add garlic to the pot roast.  Add the onions whole.  Cut the carrots into 2-inch lengths and add.  Add the potatoes.  Add the water.   I cook on low for 6-8 hours until the meat is fall apart tender.  When storing the roast I always save the juice in it's own dish.  Once refrigerated the fat can be removed from the juice and when reheated it makes an excellent sauce for the roast. 
Recipe adapted from:  www.theclothesmakethegirl.com
Serves 8     


Enjoy!
Sherry
I will link this to: 
Home at Rose Chintz Cottage
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
On the Menu Monday at Stonegable 
Rooted in Thyme Simple and Sweet Fridays
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
A Pinteresting Party  at Tutus & Tea Parties

12 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sherry that looks good! I haven't made a pot roast in a while.

Miss Kitty said...

Thanks for sharing that great-looking recipe, Sherry! I am kind of re-discovering my crock pot so this will be a recipe I will try soon. I pinnned so I remember it and hope others will find it too.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Oh my gosh... I am SOOOOOOO stinking excited. I actually JUST posted on someone's blog about my lousy, dry, horrible pot roasts. I don't know what happened. I used to make them and they looked just like YOURS... now though, they're nearly inedible. I'm going to try this ASAP.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Blessings,
Spencer

Unknown said...

That looks fantastic! I just made a roast on Sunday and my son came to dinner. You are so right about the kids getting older and giving compliments. YAY! So, last night we had shredded beef tacos with the leftovers. YUM!

Leslie said...

This looks wonderful!!! There's nothing like some roast for comfort food! Now I'm craving this for supper. :)
Blessings,
Leslie

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Yum, this sounds delicious! I really love comfort food and pot roast with potatoes is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing!

Pamela Gordon said...

This looks so delicious and pot roast or stew are such comfort foods. Beautiful photo too!

Jeannie and Linda said...

Sherry, the recipe sounds delicious! I will definitely try this one. Thank for sharing.

Linda and Jeannie @ The French Hens Nest

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Mmmm, yum! Love pot roast and yours looks and sounds delish, Sherry! This time of year especially, one craves this sort of meal. Thanks for sharing and coming to my HOME.

Blessings,
Sandi

Unknown said...

This looks incredibly delicious! I've been craving pot roast with potato and carrots. I'm going to make this on Sunday...thanks for sharing!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

This sounds like great comfort food! It is amazing how kids turn into nice people and then even become your friends, as they get older!!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Sherry, This sounds fantastic. Nothing like comfort food when it's cold outside. Thanks so much for sharing at Simple & Sweet Fridays. My kids have turned into nice people too!

Jody