Thursday, July 21, 2011

Home Sweet Home # 24

Welcome to Home Sweet Home!  Today I have an alternative to the store bought ice cream cake.  I found this recipe on the Duggar Family website.  I was having lots of challenges feeding three boys and I went to their website wondering how Michelle Duggar fed all of her kids and I found her recipes.  You can get there by clicking here.

 My kids love this cake and would rather have it than a store cake.  It has the chocolate and then some that you would get with the fast food ice cream birthday cake.

So, let's break down the cost:
I followed the recipe and bought name brand on a few things everything else was store brand and cheaper.
Hershey's Chocolate syrup $1.68
Smuckers Caramel topping  $1.98
4 regular Butterfingers       $3.00
24 ice cream sandwiches    $3.98
whipped topping                       .99
Total cost                             $11.63
This makes a 9x13" pan and feeds 20-30
The kids verdict was that it was rich and a small piece was perfect.

Layered Ice Cream Cake
24 ice cream sandwiches
8 0z. whipped topping
1 Hershey's chocolate syrup bottle
1 Smuckers caramel topping 
2 king size Butterfinger candy bars chopped up
1st layer: 12 ice cream sandwiches
2nd: half of whipped cream
3rd: half of Butterfinger bars
4th: squeeze 1/2 of caramel and chocolate over that
5th: rest of ice cream sandwiches
6th: whipped topping
7th: rest of Butterfinger
8th: rest of Caramel and chocolate
Freeze and eat as desired.
 Now for the vintage part of this post, I had to show you another piece of my Fair Winds English Transferware by Alfred Meakin.  This is the dessert bowl I served the ice cream cake in.  The scene on this is the U.S.S. Portsmouth off the Barrier Forts of Canton.  Every piece of this transferware has a different scene on it.  Soon I will make a table with it. 

Thanks for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Now, I would like to feature some wonderful post from last week's Home Sweet Home.

 First up, the Kitchen Cookie made this gorgeous Peachy Sour Cream Coffee Cake.  Click the link to view.

Next, Patti at Ivy and Elephants showed us some blue and white and how she displayed it in her kitchen in this gorgeous bird cage.  Click the link to view.
Over at The 2 Seasons a Mother Daughter duo showed us a wonderful powder room makeover.  Click the link to view.

Next, Suzy at Worthing Court showed us her friend Linda's kitchen makeover which had so many good ideas through out the whole post.  Click the link to view.

And last, over at A Perfect Setting she did a silver sea shell tablescape that was beautiful.  Click the link to view.
Now onto today.
I will join these ladies today:
Open House Thursday at No Minimalist Here
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Feathered Nest Fridayat French Country Cottage
Pearls and Lace Thursday  at Faith, Grace, Crafts
Seasonal Sundays  at The Tablescaper
Thrifty Thursday  at Tales from Bloggeritaville 
Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove
Foodie Friday  at Designs by Gollum
*Note: Blue Creek Home had her website bought out from under her and you will need to add her newer url to direct you to her site. www.bluecreekhome.blogspot.com.  Her party Treasure Hunt Thursday has been put on temporary hold.  When she resumes it I will join her.  Thanks!

Guidelines for Home Sweet Home Party:
Attention: To link up with inlinkz you must have a permalink back to this party in your post or they will not allow you to link.  If you find your link deleted, add the link, and then try again.  (I have been deleting a few links.  Inlinkz sets the rules.)
My button is on my sidebar for the party, if you want to use it.   If you are new here I hope you will become a follower.  No Etsy link ups or direct advertising, please.  Please visit some of the other blogs and get some great inspiration.  Thanks.:)
Now let's see your beautiful homes!


33 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

OMG, here I am trying to eat better and get some weight off and you share this yummy recipe. That looks scrumptious. Thanks for hosting.

Debra@CommonGround said...

I agree with Kim, this looks fabulous, does it come in low cal, no fat? yum!! Just linked up,
xoxo Debra

Diann said...

YUM!! This recipe looks fantastic! We have a family BBQ coming up and I am making this to take. I will be the most favorite Aunt there!! Thank you for joining TTF and for being a lovely hostess! Have a wonderful day!

Concetta said...

I did not think it was possible to love your blog any more than I already do - but you are amazing!!! Guess what?? Next Wednesday at our church we are hosting many families from a homeless ministry in our community. My beautiful Kitchenettes are going to be serving the children this very same cake!! I am so excited and I must say your photos are fabulous!
Thank you for hosting and making my day!
<><
Concetta

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

That looks soooooo good Sherry!! Thanks for hosting! Martina

Nayana said...

It looks so good and no eggs involved and looks easy, I m gonna try making it. Thanks for the party..

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Sherry,
Now that is a recipe after my own heart!! There goes that resolution to eat more healthy!! LOL!!

Thanks so much for hosting!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Yumm! that layered ice cream cake looks totally scrumptious! Perfect dessert for this heat wave we are experiencing right now...lovely features especially that beautiful display of dishes in that gorgeous birdcage. Thanks for this fun party each week. Have a wonderful weekend!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

The Tablescaper said...

Thanks so much for hosting. I love Patti's display of her blue and white.

- The Tablescaper

Sue said...

I will pretend to be eating this delicious and decadent cake, Sherry! What a fun dessert to make for a carry-in picnic or party. I think it would melt in an instant in this heat today! LOL The heat index is 115º Yikes.... Thanks for hosting. :-) Sue

Sunny Simple Life said...

I have wanted to make that cake too. I love to see how the Duggars feed all those kids. I have four and their friends all the time and I have to really stretch our budget. Crazy how expensive it is to feed a family these days. And I am not talking about steak, just getting the basics.

Faye said...

That looks way too good....I think I gained a few pounds just looking at it! Thanks for hosting!!!
XO Faye

Olga Poltava said...

That ice-cream cake looks fantastic!

bj said...

thank you so much for hosting this fun party.
Love all the showcased goodies.

Susan Freeman said...

Your cake looks beyond fabulous! Can't wait to try it!! Thanks for hosting.

Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

xinex said...

That chocolate ice cream cake looks so scrumptious. I am going to give it a try...Christine

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Sherry! Love that china! That cake sure puts the SWEET into home sweet home! I should hop over and check out those recipes! Thanks again for the fun!

Miss Gracie's House said...

That ice cream cake looks just yummy!
Rene

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Thanks for hosting this link party! Love your blog.

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I my goodness, I want to go the grocery store right NOW to get the ingredients to make this. Seriously, I'm contemplating going and it's almost midnight!

I have an identical bird cage...what a great idea to store dishes on/in it! So cute. Mine is hanging on my back patio now, but not for long!

Thanks for hosting,

Nancy

Sarah said...

Wow, what wonderful features. The ice cream cake and those gorgeous tables. Thanks for hosting each week. Great party!

Betty said...

I'm not much for chocolate, but I know someone who will love that cake. Thanks for featuring it.

Martha said...

Oh my! That ice cream dessert looks fabulous! and perfect for the WARM weather!! Thanks so much for featuring my peach coffee cake! Have a great day!

Kathy said...

Great looking recipe! I think my kids - especially my son - would just love this!
Great choices -particularly like the birdcage idea!
Kathy

Barb said...

Sherry, wow, that is so delicious looking! Thanks for sharing with us. I am trying to behave myself with sugar. Yikes!

Thanks so much for hosting.

Barb ♥

Doni said...

I'm so excited to have you join me for Pearls and Lace Thursday! Thanks so much!! And I gain weight just LOOKING at that cake recipe up there!! ARGH!! I'm licking the screen it looks so good!!!!
Have a cool day!
Doni

Honey at 2805 said...

These are all such great features, Sherry! Thanks for always being a gracious hostess!

Sue said...

What a great recipe...I wish I had some right now. I love the transferware. That is really a color I like. It was fun seeing some of the other posts...love that birdcage idea!

The French Hutch said...

YUMMY Recipe, I'll have to try this one for sure. Love the transferware and the beautiful table. Love the goodies and inspiration. Thanks Sherry for hosting your party.

~Emily
The French Hutch

Ivy and Elephants said...

I am going to try that cake this weekend, it looks so yummy! Thanks for featuring my birdcage, I am very honored. You've made my day! And as always, thanks for hosting such a fun party.
Hugs,
Patti

Marlis said...

That would be the perfect dessert for a large gathering! Thanks so much for sharing. Your Meakin dishes are so lovely, I can't wait to see your table. xo marlis

Honey at 2805 said...

Thank you and yes, I did paint the rooster.

Hope you will please drop by and enter my $50 Overstock.com Gift Card Giveaway!!

The Tablescaper said...

Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper