Thursday, March 18, 2010

Foodie Friday: Classic Strawberry Shortcake

 
 There is nothing that says spring like a strawberry shortcake.  I always make shortcake for my family every spring but, this version I dressed up a bit with a strawberry sauce made from strawberry dessert wine.  My recipe source was Betty Crocker.com.

Ingredients:

1quart (4 cups) strawberries, sliced
1/4cup sugar
2 1/3cups Original Bisquick® mix
1/2cup milk
3tablespoons sugar
3tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
1/2cup whipping cream

1.Heat oven to 425°F. In large bowl, mix strawberries and 1/4 cup sugar; set aside.
2.In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 spoonfuls.
3.Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, in small bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
4.Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 450°F. Decrease sugar in shortcakes to 1 tablespoon.
  
Wine sauce:
I made this sauce with a strawberry dessert wine, any will do.  What I did was take a 1/2 cup of wine for every 2 strawberry shortcakes you could double or triple that to make up to six servings.  I took my 1/2 cup of wine and simmered it on med-high heat for 15 minutes.  I then added 1 TBS of sugar and simmered about 5 minutes more.  When it is ready it will look like a pancake syrup.  Construct your strawberry shortcake as in the picture above and drizzle the sauce over the shortcake. All the alcohol cooks out but the added flavor to the dish is amazing!!
Yields: 6 servings


 

23 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

That looks so good! I planned on shortcakes for a luncheon this week and now I'm glad I did!
xoxo Pattie

The Fajdich Times said...

Your shortcake looks amazing:) It just screams SPRING!!!!!!!!!!!!

bunny, The Paris House said...

How yummy, Spring is indeed coming soon and I will surely make these!
thanks for posting

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

I agree with the comment above...looks so tasty and screaming Spring! Yummy!

MrsJenB said...

Yuuuuuummmm! I love strawberry shortcake! Hooray for spring desserts! It looks amazing.

bj said...

Ummmm...a friend and I were just talking about using our favorite Blackberry wine for an ice cream float..:)
I never thought about using Bisquick for the shortcakes. I'll sure give that a try.
xo bj

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sherry, Oh this strawberry shortcake tower looks fabulous! And you are right, it is screaming SPRING! I can just taste the deliciousness!
Yvonne

Rattlebridge Farm said...

I haven't eaten shortcake in so long, I'm famished for it! Love the wine sauce!

Sue said...

Oh, this looks so good and makes me want spring even more! I love strawberries. Thanks for visiting me today. I was a bit under the weather and I'm way behind around here.

Kristen said...

I adore strawberries in any form, but shortcake is my favorite!

Lady Katherine said...

Oh, this strawberry shortcake look so wonderful! I think I could take a spoonful, right from the computer! Thank You for visiting me for Tea Time Tuesday! You are welcome! I look forward to some of your lovely dishes!

Janine said...

just found your blog through Foodie Friday!! Amazing recipe today!!
Just became a follower...

Anita Diaz said...

This looks SO delicious!!! Thanks for stopping by...glad it brought me here:-)

BGndr said...

That looks so good!!!

Joyce said...

Luscious!

Family Balance Sheet said...

That picture is making me hungry...looking forward to the local strawberry season just 2 months away.

happy 100!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

I am drooling all over that shortcake! It looks delicious! I'll keep this recipe. Thanks. laurie

Foley said...

The shortcake looks amazing - I would make a meal out of it... Congrats on your 100th post,quite a milestone!

Suzy said...

Thanks for stopping by for my Flashback and joining in. Those old cookbooks conjure up the memories don't they? Please do join in any time you'd like and snatch the Flashback Friday icon too :-) Your strawberries look awesome. I always start craving them in the spring.

My Cozy Corner said...

Hi Sherry
I love Stawberry shortcake. I grow strawberries and my granddaughters pick them once a week for a month.
They love them on ice cream and they just eat them off the plants. (with a little wash job) Thanks for stopping by. I would like to be a follower and I'm adding your blog to my favorite list
Thanks
Betty

DarcyLee said...

Strawberry shortcake-mmmm! I'm so looking forward to warmer weather when all the good produce is in season. Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog. And, yes, I'm looking forward to Jamie Oliver's new series. Have a great week!

Ladynred said...

That looks yummy!. I love strawberry shortcake!

Julie said...

Love strawberry shortcake and this looks beautiful!!