Orange Marmalade in the Breadmaker
servings: 20 ounces
1 1/2 pounds of oranges (organic if possible)
1 1/2 cup of granular sugar
3 tablespoons of pectin
1 teaspoon of butter (optional)
Instructions:
Wash your oranges and dry. Cut them in halve and juice them with a juicer. Remove as much of the pulp as you can without any pith. Cut the orange skin into thin strips of about 1/5th inch. Place the orange juice with pulp, the orange peel strips, sugar, pectin and, butter into the bread machine pan. Select the "Jam" cycle and hit sart. It takes about 1 hour 20 minutes. Once jam is done, let cool in pan for one hour and then transfer to sterilized jars, or preferred storage container. The jam stores in the refrigerator 3 weeks and in the freezer for one year.
*I have a Hamilton Beach breadmaker.
Recipe adapted from: culinaryshades.com
I went in search of ways to use my marmalade once I had preserved it, and I found a recipe for a Marmalade Pound Cake, which turned out delicious! Ten years ago on this blog I also made an orange marmalade cake, here is the link.
This cake came from Marisa McClellan, who wrote Food in Jars. I believe I got the recipe out of The Food in Jars Kitchen: 140 Ways to Cook, Bake, Plate, and Share Your Homemade Pantry. This recipe used the marmalade in the cake and the glaze. She had some great recipes for using preserved food in this cookbook!
Enjoy!
In Victory,
Sherry




No comments:
Post a Comment