Monday, October 21, 2024

Gooseberry Crumble

Gooseberry Crumble
I think my family may be getting more fond of this crumble than pie. It doesn't matter what fruit I put in this; they love it. 

Gooseberry Crumble
The reason it is so popular would be the double crumble crust. It has a bottom layer of crumbs shown here and a top layer over the fruit.

Gooseberry Crumble
I gave you the original recipe here with a smaller amount I made in a 9-inch pie plate. The family loves it so much this time I made it in a 9 x 13-inch pan. 

Gooseberry Crumble
Gooseberry Crumble
Serves: 12

Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup cold butter
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

Fruit filling:
4 cups of gooseberries, washed, topped and tailed
1/2 cup white sugar
6 tablespoons of cornstarch (I go by 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to each cup of fruit filling)

I used a home canned jar of gooseberry pie filling I made myself. I canned the gooseberries exactly as directed by the Ball Blue Book of Canning. Gooseberries are a high acid food so they are water bath canned. 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375°F. 
Make crumble: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Stir until combined. Cut up cold butter and incorporate with a pastry cutter. Mix until a coarse texture. Stir in egg yolks, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar and mix briefly. The mixture will have some coarse crumbs and some small dry crumbs. Set the crumble aside. 
Make filling: Combine all gooseberries in a large bowl. Add sugar, and cornstarch. Mix until cornstarch is dissolved. 
Assembly:
Put half of the crumble in the bottom of baking dish( here a 9 x 13-inch pan). Press the mixture down with the bottom of a cup until well compacted. Spread the berry filling on top of this. Sprinkle the remaining crumble over the top of the berries and squeeze some of the crumble into clumps. 
Bake in a preheated oven until the top is browned. 40-45 minutes. Let set for 30 minutes after baked and then serve.  
(Recipe adapted from: The Ultimate Berry Crumble at allrecipes.com)

In Victory,
Sherry

No comments: