Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Driscoll's Berry Craft Contest

I am excited to show you my entry into the Driscoll's Berry Craft Contest.  I was contacted by Driscoll's to enter their virtual holiday craft workshop and competition and I had a lot of fun coming up with the design for my entry.

Driscoll's sent me a crafting kit with a $25 gift card to Michael's, $25 in Driscoll's berry coupons, a berry shopping bag, a berry strainer, and some instructions on how to begin my crafting.  I decided to go with an entire theme of a little gnome with his mushroom in a wintry setting.

The strawberry made a perfect mushroom.  I cut the top off turned it upside down on a toothpick and gently pressed sugar pearls into the berry for the dots on the mushroom.  The entire scene is based in a trifle made of strawberries, angel food cake cubes, and whip cream for the snowy effect.  All of this is in a single serving little pint jelly jar meant to be presented right on each individual place setting.  The rim of the jelly jar was moistened and dipped in red sugar crystals.

The strawberry mushroom was the key to the whole scene and it took a little work to come up with the perfect strawberry mushroom.  Some of the failed attempts can be seen here.

The little gnome is made of a spicy gingerbread recipe and then was dusted with sugar glitter to give the effect of ice and winter.  His little red hat is made of red candy melt not icing.

My inspiration for this was vintage German and Dutch postcards depicting gnomes and their mushrooms in a wintery scene.  I had created a secret Pinterest Board: Berry Contest for my inspirations and I have it now where you can look at it.

A big thank you to Driscoll's Berries for giving me the opportunity to enter the contest.
Sherry
I will link this to: 
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm
On the Menu Monday at Stonegable 
Rooted in Thyme Simple and Sweet Fridays
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Home at Rose Chintz Cottage
Food on Friday at Carole's Chatter 
Christmas Craft Party at Centsational Girl 
Handmade Holidays at Cedar Hill Ranch

18 comments:

Barbara F. said...

Very cute! I got a kick out of the little gnome :) xo

Red Couch Recipes said...

I think the mushroom is so adorable. The whole thing is so cute and looks so good to eat. Joni

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

So cute!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Looks cute and delicious. Can I have the leftovers? ;-)

Unknown said...

That looks absolutely delicious!!! WOW!

Hugs,

Deserae said...

Wow, it is soooo cute...very creative too!
~Des

shaggysheephome said...

Your going to win I know it! They are adorable!

Lillie and Moss said...

You are one talented lady! This is awesome and the mushroom couldn't be more perfect. You win in my book! Shari

Pura Vida said...

oh my sakes how fun! and delicious!

My Little Home and Garden said...

I imagine that is as tasty as it is beautiful.

Cynthia said...

This almost looks to pretty too eat, notice I said almost. You are such a talent an these are so adorable.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

That looks really good and creative too, Sherry! I love the mushroom! Thank you for sharing this at my HOME and have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Vanessa said...

Looks delicious. Love the little gnome.

Beth said...

Your trifle is amazing, Sherry! I hope you win!

Ivy and Elephants said...

I love your entry! Absolutely inspired! I agree, that little mushroom is the best! You're amazing!
Hugs,
Patti

Carole said...

So pretty! Thanks for linking this in to Food on Friday. cheers

Unknown said...

Thanks for hosting a great party! I'm having a, "It's a Social Hop like Crazy" party. I'd love for you to hop on over, grab a button and link up your blog.
http://mydailyphotojourney.blogspot.com/2012/11/social-hop-like-crazy-party.html

Have a crazy beautiful weekend!

Stan and Jody Gabara said...

Thanks so much for sharing your entry on Simple & Sweet Fridays, I love making the gnome cookies too!

Jody