Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Spaghetti with Tomato and Fresh Basil Sauce

I have been trying to get some healthier versions of meals on the menu at home.  An all time favorite of ours is spaghetti and I have a new version that is healthier and almost as quick as opening a can of sauce.

I first inspected the pasta aisle at the grocery and my favorite go to pasta when I want to eat better is Barilla.  This spaghetti was 51% whole wheat and that makes it a lot better tasting than 100% whole wheat.

This is how it looks cooked up.  It is just as quick as the other spaghetti.

The sauce is really good and the kids gave it a thumbs up. 
Ingredients:
1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup of chopped onions
1 1/2 tsps. chopped garlic
3 1/2 cups of crushed tomatoes
1/2 tsp. dry oregano
1/4 tsp. crushed red-pepper flakes (I omitted)
1 tsp. salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped fresh basil
12 ounces dry, whole-wheat spaghetti
4 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
  
  1. Lightly coat a large skillet with the oil over medium heat.  Add the onions and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the garlic, tomatoes, oregano, red-pepper flakes, salt, and a few grindings of black pepper and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Reduce the heat to low and stir the basil into the sauce.
  2. Cook the spaghetti as directed on the package.  Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water and drain.
  3. Add the spaghetti to the Tomato and Fresh Basil Sauce.  Stir to combine and let it sit 1 minute.  If the sauce looks dry, stir in the reserved cooking water.
  4. Divide the spaghetti among 4 dinner plates and sprinkle with Parmesan.
Yield: 4 servings of 1 1/2 cups each
This recipe produces 3 1/2 cups of sauce, which can be used in any recipe calling for tomato sauce.  It freezes well.  
Recipe source- The Volumetrics Eating Plan
This is a great cookbook filled with a lot of new versions of favorite recipes that give you a lot fresher food with more veggies and fiber.
Sherry
I will link to:
Foodie Friday  at Designs by Gollum
This Chick Cooked at This Chick Cooks
Friday Food at Mom Trends

15 comments:

The Fajdich Times said...

Your spaghetti looks fabulous:)

Unknown said...

wow looks scrumscious :) its always good to have a healthy option thanks for sharing this. I have just started a cookery corner on my blog, a special page where I bake with my son check it out

Sunny Simple Life said...

I like to make homemade sauce as store bought is so high in sodium. I will have to try that 50% wheat pasta too.

Claudia Fabiana said...

This recipe sounds really good and healthy! I love Barilla. I only use Barilla or De Cecco. Have you tried Barilla's Plus? It's got more nutrients and protein, and still tastes good. I'm adding the recipe to my file...

ciao

Lynn said...

Sounds great Sherry, glad the kids loved it:@)

Marigene said...

Gosh that looks delicious...I have been craving pasta with a good Bolognese sauce for the past week...you have encouraged me to quit thinking about it and make it, Sherry!

Unknown said...

Only Barilla is on my pantry shelf. It is so good and I love that it is so much healthier. I cooked it longer as I love it squishy soft. Your
sauce looks so yummy! I never could cook a good sauce. Maybe I should give this recipe a try!

Linda said...

Looks yummy! i love spaghetti...I have never tried the 50%...I tried the whole wheat but it was too chewy...I'll look for this...thanks!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Sherry this is right on time!! We are on a very restricted diet since hubby's heart attack a few weeks ago and this recipe will be perfect! I have a ton of tomatoes from our garden, do you think those would work instead of the canned tomatoes since I have them?

Unknown said...

Yummy! I just made about the same sauce. I love the whole wheat pasta, I just find you have to prepare it a little more done, than the regular pasta. Guess it's a little hardier than the other! Enjoy, looks wonderful.

Olive said...

Sherry, good for you for cooking fresh and healthy. I can definitely do this as I grew bunches of sweet basil this summer. hugs♥O

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Sherry- that sauce looks so good. We just love pasta here! Love how you gave it a healthier spin!

Miss Gracie's House said...

Hi Sherry,
That looks so yummy...have never heard of the partial whole wheat...sounds like a great idea...gonna have to check it out for sure:)
THANKS for spot-lighting my post a bit ago...
Rene'

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Thanks for sharing this quick and easy pasta sauce... it looks so yummy!51 percent whole wheat Barilla pasta, I gotta try this.Hugs~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Leslie said...

Yum! We love whole wheat spaghetti in our family,too. Great recipe!