Thursday, July 14, 2011

Home Sweet Home #23

Welcome to Home Sweet Home!   I am mixing paint this week with gesso and I thought I would give you an update on how this has been going.  This is the inspiration picture, on the right, of a antique cupboard in a beautiful bathroom.  I have got the color on my cabinet here on the left.  

 But, before I arrived at that color I mixed paint awhile.  Here I mixed gloss Hunter Green by Valspar with Gesso.  All of these are too bright.  

I painted the cabinet with one of the above paint mixes and I realized it was much brighter when dry than when I mixed it.  So, back to the drawing board.  This color is what I would call teal.  It is just the hunter green mixed with gesso and there is more Gesso than paint in the mix.  How was working with Gesso?  I loved it!  It goes on smooth and covers great.  Across the room my husband was using our trim paint and painting the door for the bathroom and the old color bled through and he will need 2 coats.  This is not the case with this gesso mix.  It has great coverage and all I needed was to lightly sand and give it one coat.  It is chalky!  

 So, I finally realized I would have to break down and get a gray to mix with this to achieve this muted shade I was aiming for.  I went to Walmart and got a basic gray.  I mixed some more and this gray was the key to the color.  The gray (it was semi-gloss latex interior) was Time Worn Stone.

So, if you just want to paint with a normal paint it would save time to find a sample of the color you want and get it scanned and have the paint mixed.  But, if you want to use gesso to get that chalky finish you will have to mix paint.  What I learned was that when mixing paint start with the palest color first, for example the gesso and add the color slowly to get the desired tint.  You have to stop, all the while, when doing this and paint on something and let it dry to see how dark it gets when dry.  And, that was the other thing I noticed the wet paint is much paler than it will be dry.  So the sampling process I did above on the white cardboard is very useful.  Do I want to use gesso again?  Yes!  I am going to paint some chairs and a chest with it.  I also can't wait to sand it and see how it ages.  

Thanks for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Now, I would like to feature some wonderful post from last week's Home Sweet Home.
First, Desire Empire got my attention with a beautiful Orange cake and a roasted chicken.  Click the link to view.

Next, The Tablescaper had the most romantic tablescape under lights.  Click the link to view.

The Pear Tree Cottage had the most gorgeous after dining room when she rearranged some walls.  Click link to view.

And last, The Precious Little Things in Life shows you how to create these book covers as well as many other links to DIY book covers that will have your bookcase looking chic.  Click the link to view.

Now onto today.
I will join these ladies today:
Open House Thursday at No Minimalist Here
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Feathered Nest Fridayat French Country Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at Blue Creek Home 
Pearls and Lace Thursday  at Faith, Grace, Crafts

Guidelines for Home Sweet Home Party:
Attention: To link up with inlinkz you must have a permalink back to this party in your post or they will not allow you to link.  If you find your link deleted, add the link, and then try again.  (I have been deleting a few links.  Inlinkz sets the rules.)
My button is on my sidebar for the party, if you want to use it.   If you are new here I hope you will become a follower.  No Etsy link ups or direct advertising, please.  Please visit some of the other blogs and get some great inspiration.  Thanks.:)
Now let's see your beautiful homes!

47 comments:

Debra@CommonGround said...

Hi Sherry, LOVE that final color, just perfect!
just linked up, thanks for hosting, xoxo Debra

Debbie said...

I tried to comment on the previous post about the paint, but I had trouble. Hope this one works. I love the look of your paint and want to learn more about this Gesso thingie. It's the chalky, colonial, look I love.

And I missed that table from The Tablescaper!! I was offline last week. I am going to have to take a look because it looks just beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherry! Oh, these are wonderful rooms! Thank you for hosting this most wonderful party.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

Hi Sherry,
I'm so glad you decided to try the gesso technique with paint. You can use just about any water based paint. Your piece turned out beautifully. Sanding it will give a nice smooth, hard finish. Can't wait to see more.
xoxoRosemary

Concetta said...

Dear Sherry,
I just love the beautiful paint color - you are creating a masterpiece!
Thank you for hosting our party and sharing these amazing inspirations!
<><
Concetta

Barb said...

Hi Sherry, you are amazing. Your blog is always full of wonderful things.

I hope to join you soon. Love the pics.

Barb ♥

Mary said...

Hi Sherry~ love the final color! I'm looking forward to seeing the sanded version! Thanks for hosting!

xinex said...

I can't wait to see your cabinet completed, Sherry. I love the color!...Christine

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Thanks for this awesome tutorial... loved it! I have to follow these steps next time for my painting project... gesso mixed with paint creates such a beautiful finish... the finish on your piece is sooo gorgeous... loving the color! Thanks for having us each week. Have a great weekend!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Becca Bertotti said...

Well, you truly found the perfect color !! I look forward to seeing the reveal.

Decor To Adore said...

I absolutely adore your weathered sage green. Can't wait to see the cabinet.

Faye said...

It looks good! Thank you for hosting!
Faye

Olga Poltava said...

Hi Sherry, I never really tried to paint anything. I guess I'm too afraid to do it badly, but I like reading about your painting projects.
Thank you for hosting HSH. It's always fun to join you and visit other creative and inspiring people through this link party.

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Such a pretty color, and great info! Nice links from last week too! Thanks for your compliment on my table! And thanks again for HSH!

Martha said...

Wow great feature on the candlelit tablescape! Beautiful!

bj said...

Thanks much for hosting.

Desire Empire said...

Thanks so much for the feaure of my orange cake. I love your party and all its inspiration each week. Have a great weekend.
Best Carolyn

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

Hi there Sherry! Fantastic features- all linked up! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday and for hosting! :)

Anonymous said...

I've heard of chalk paint but never heard it called Gesso - must look that up and learn more. Thanks for hostessing the party!

Mary @ Redo 101

Sunny Simple Life said...

I love the green. You don't? What if you tone it down with a glaze. What a bummer. I hate when paint doesn't dry how you want it to.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sherry, great features. That orange cake looks so good. Can't wait to see the color you came up with. I guess you are making your own chalk paint.

Katie Olthoff said...

I was mixing colors like that for my living room walls last week!

Thanks for hosting!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Sherry! Great features! And thanks for the tips on using Gesso. I will definitely try it! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Natasha in Oz said...

That shade of green is beautiful! I love it!

Thanks for having me today. I haven't joined in for while and now I have my blogging mojo back and am so happy to be joining in with your linky party!

Best wishes and happy weekend,
Natasha @ 5 Minutes Just for Me

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the features and the green color on your project is gorgeous. Thanks for hosting such a great party. Hugs, Marty

Honey at 2805 said...

Thanks for being a gracious hostess, Sherry!

Sue said...

You are so ambitious as to mixing your own paint this way,Sherry! wow - If the end result is a chalky, this would certainly be much less expensive than buying the AS chalk paint, that's for sure! I'm anxious to see the end result. Thanks for hosting, again~ Sue

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi Sherry...thanks so much for hosting. I'm a little late but I made it! The features are awesome this week. The one with the book covers is incredible...have a great weekend!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

If you haven't entered my giveaway try to stop by!

Pamela said...

Wonderful features! Thanx for hosting!

Anonymous said...

Sherry I think the color is great but know how it is when wanting just the right shade!! I had to go down to the basement 1/2 dozen times to get the right shade mixed on mine!

Blue Creek Home said...

I love mixing colors - it's always such a rush when you finally get it right! I love this shade.
I haven't used gesso in a while - I think I may have to pull it out and play some.
Thanks for hosting.
And, thanks for coming to THT.
Rhonda

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Beautiful color choice, Sherry. I am excited to see the finished cabinet!

Nancy

The Tablescaper said...

Good luck with your painting adventures.

Thanks so much for featuring THE TABLESCAPER!

- The Tablescaper

Doni said...

I'm just too timid to try to mix colors of paint for a wall...I have to give you credit for going for it! Your idea of using gesso makes me wonder how it would work with craft paints? Hmmm, now THAT I might try!!
Thanks for linking up with Pearls and Lace Thursday!
Blessings, Doni

Jedbel @ The Pear Tree Cottage said...

Thank you for mentioning our dining room today. :) That paint color you mixed looks lovely. I must remember to try Gesso next time I paint a piece!

Diann said...

Hi Sherry, I can't wait to seethe finished project. The color looks great.

Barb said...

Hi Sherry, finally able to join you. Yay!!!!!!

Hugs, Barb

The French Hutch said...

hi Sherry, I love the color you've decided on. Great tutorial on how you came up with your color too. Great features from last week.Thanks for hosting

~Emily
The French Hutch

Ivy and Elephants said...

I can't wait to see how the cabinet turns out. The hardest part for me is waiting between steps, just can't wait to get to the big finish. Thanks for hosting, I love seeing what everyone is up to.
Hugs,
Patti

Deborah March said...

Oooohhh, that colour is absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

I love the color that you created. I've never tried using gesso, but now I just might.

hugs
Sissie

A Perfect Setting said...

Gosh I could have sworn I left a comment anyway, love the paint color. My daughter is getting ready to move into an apartment and we will be doing some furniture painting so thanks for the tips! Have you ever used chalk paint under the paint color? Thanks for hosting and visiting with me!

Scribbler said...

I have long preferred gesso to regular primer for furniture because it levels better. It is a bit pricey for big walls of cabinets, etc. It does come in some other colors besides white. I have never tried mixing it with regular paint, will probably test that out. I have used my art pigments fairly successfully to add or alter color. Your project turned out so pretty!

Miss Gracie's House said...

I love how the cabinet turned out...much, much better! Thanks for hosting...I am happy to play along...see you again!
Rene

Pamela said...

Just wanted to stop by and invite you to Treasure Hunt Thursday formerly over at Blue Creek Home. Rhonda has passed it on to me and I would be honored for you to join us!:) Party starts at 8 pm central tonight!:)

Sonny G said...

I love the color on your cabinet. I wish you were here to help me mix up the right shade:)
I'm sitting here 5 months later looking at the dining set I bought and wishing it was painted just like your cabinet..

When I get it done I'll definately post in on your party ..