Thursday, November 4, 2010

Herbs de Provence

Here is an idea that came to me in the garden.  I hadn't pulled the herbs up yet.  They seem to hang on the longest being so hardy.  I decided to dry them and make herbs de ProvenceThis mixture of herbs used in French cooking sells for at $4 an ounce or more.  It is often used as a mix for rubbing meat, poultry, or fish before roasting.  It is also used to season sauces and soups. 

 
Ingredients:
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp summer savory
1/2 tsp lavender flowers
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp oregano or basil
1/4 tsp sage

For meat- rub with olive oil and salt and press the herb blend into meat before roasting.
Just follow your recipe for sauces and soups. 
There are several variations to the recipe many include fennel or fennel seeds.  This recipe was from the web.
I also made this little shabby bag with a hand lettered linen tag to store the herbs. They smell wonderful and would be a great gift for a person who loves to cook.

Here is a little Italian angel candle holder I found thrifting.  The plates are Limoges and the dessert bowl was unmarked.  
I will join these wonderful sites please go and visit:
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Pink Saturday at How Sweet the Sound

I am joining Joni at Red Couch Recipes  for the Thanksgiving Challenge.  Each post until Thanksgiving I will mention something I am thankful for.  I am thankful for my husband who is absolutely awesome!
I'm in the blue dress on the right and how did that young lady get in there?  Just kidding!!  He really is awesome!
 
Sherry

18 comments:

Lynn said...

Sherry the herbs-de-provence will be great gifts, your pouches are beautiful! Lovin' the angle candle holder and I see the hubby has been body building-lucky you:@)

Blondie's Journal said...

I have always wanted to make herbs~de~Provence, I have a clay jar that I had bought some in that I'd like to refill. Lavender...wow!!

XO,
Jane

Jacqueline said...

Love the family photo! Your hair looks fabulous by the way.

I know, these are sooo expensive. I have never thought to look up a recipe. I have almost everything. Missing the summer savory. I guess I could buy that. Thanks for the recipe and I love your little bag.

Debbie said...

I think the pouch is the best part! I just love stuff like that. What a good idea.

And I like your Disney World picture, too.

PAT said...

Wonderful gift idea and beautiful post, Sherry!

Happy Weekend!

Erin said...

Love the idea with the herbs, and the pouch is perfect. Thanks for stopping by and leaving those nice comments!

Bella's Rose Cottage said...

Hi Sherry, Mmmm I'll bet the Herbs de Provence smell wonderful!! Your bag is charming:-))
Bella

Trisha said...

I love this idea and the bag that you made to put it in. Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words!

~Trisha

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Sherry! I bet those herbs smell wonderful. Love the little bag you put them in too. I especially love the china in your first shot; lovely pinks. Have a great weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Anonymous said...

Sherry, your herb bag is just awesome. I love it! It's so Frenchy....make a bunch...send to me and we will sell them on my website or better yet you sell them. FANTASTIC! xo

Annabelle said...

Lovely family picture and you look marvellous!
Thanks for the recipe and the pouch you made is beautiful.

Annabelle ~^..^~

Lynn-Teacupstitches said...

Hi Sherry!
Thank you for your visit and nice comment!
Oh your herb mix sounds yummy! I never would have thought to put lavender in it! I'm going to whip up a batch for gifts and just love the homemade bag idea.
And your photos are awesome!!
Happy Pink Saturday!
Hugs,
Lynn

Rebecca said...

Neat little herb sack-I've got a cherub like that-sweet little face!

xinex said...

You are so pretty, Sherry. Neat idea about the herbs. I love your cherub and your Limoges dishes, so pretty!...Christine

Martha's Favorites said...

What a pretty post today! I just love the plates and the angel. Your herb mix sounds so good. Thank you so much for sharing it. Blessings, Martha

Gossamer Creations said...

I enjoyed your post today and your little angel is darling.
HPS,
Sue

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

A bag full of herbs de Provence will make a wonderful gift! They add so much to a recipe. I love the cherub candel holder..nice find!

Happy Pink Weekend!

Unknown said...

Sherry, I love your angel/cherub candle holder. I love everything that is cherubs...this is a nice treasure..