Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Butternut Bisque

This is one of my absolute favorite soups.  I never fail to make it every fall and it is a perfect appetizer or a meal with a crusty loaf of bread.  I didn't write down what cookbook I copied this from, so source unknown.
Ingredients:
6 cups of chicken stock (I use lower sodium chicken stock.)
1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 6 cups)
2 medium tart green apples, cored, peeled, and chopped
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt (I usually eliminate this and let individuals just salt to taste at the end.)
Pinch of dried rosemary, crumbled
Freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp. (1/4 stick) butter
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 tbsp. dry sherry (I will use Port or any red wine on hand.)
1/2 cup milk with 1 tbsp. cornstarch 
  1. Combine stock, squash, apples, onion, sugar, salt, rosemary, and pepper in a heavy large saucepan.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, 1 hour or less.
  2. Puree squash mixture in a blender until very smooth.  Return to pan and bring to a boil.
  3. Melt butter in another heavy large saucepan over med-low heat.  Whisk in flour and cook 3 minutes.  Whisk in squash puree.  Simmer 5 minutes.  
  4. Mix in sherry. Beat 1/2 cup of milk with cornstarch.  Turn off soup.  Whisk 1/2 cup of milk into soup.
  5. Rewarm if necessary-Do Not Boil.
  6. Ladle into soup bowls and serve.

Serves: 6

Pin It


I will link this to: 
This Chick Cooked at This Chick Cooks
Friday Food at Mom Trends
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum 
Go over and view all the wonderful recipes there.

21 comments:

Sue said...

This sounds interesting. I made my butternut squash soup tonight, mine is slightly sweet and has sweet spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cardamon). I love fall soups.

susan said...

This sounds and looks SO good. The apples surprise me! I love almost all soups and this is going in my "to try" file! Thanks!

Lynn said...

This sounds great, I just picked up a big ole squash at the produce store:@)

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Thank you! We love such soups!

Gentle hugs..

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I love it when the butternut squash arrive, this soup looks delicious. Thanks so much.

Debbie said...

I am SO READY for soup weather!! I love to fix it on Friday nights. I think this one sounds delicious and so healthy.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I bought a small bushel of Butternut squash at the farmers' market this week. Some will be used for this delicious-sounding soup!

Marian said...

Looks luscious, especially in those bowls. Can you tell me your china pattern's name?

The Charm of Home said...

Marian,
The pattern on the dishes is Harvest Village by Royal Stafford. Thanks for stopping by.
Sherry

Marian said...

Merci! I'm making butternut squash soup tomorrow. Your photography is beautiful.

Tricia said...

I was just looking at all the different kinds of squash at the grocery store today. This sounds like the perfect meal for fall :)

Anonymous said...

It is definitely soup weather and your bisque looks wonderful!

The Fajdich Times said...

This soup sounds wonderful. I can't wait to make it! I love your soup tureen:)

Miz Helen said...

Your Butternut Bisque looks delicious. Thanks for sharing and hope you are having a great day. Come see me sometime at Full Plate Thursday, we would love to have you.
Miz Helen

laxsupermom said...

This sounds wonderful! It looks like just the thing after coming in from the cold. Thanks for sharing.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the recipe. I'm eager to try this soup. Love the tureen. ~ Sarah

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love this soup, this recipe is our type, so thank you for sharing. Your tureen is so pretty.
Have a nice evening. Hugs, FABBY

Mari @ Once Upon a Plate said...

One of my favorite Fall soups, and you have presented it SO beautifully!

So happy I found your blog through Michael's Designs by Gollum . . . and now I'm one of your most recent followers. ((hugs)) !!

Nicole Feliciano said...

Perfect for fall! Thanks so much for sharing on Friday Food with Momtrends.

Colie's Kitchen said...

Hi this is Nicole from Colie’s Kitchen I just discovered your blog and wanted to drop by and say hi. I am now a new follower. I would love to have you stop by Colie’s Kitchen if you get a chance. www.colieskitchen.com

Anonymous said...

This sounds perfect for autumn! I make a squash soup with cream cheese, but it's such a rich soup. I'd love to try this one, love the apples in it!

Thanks for linking up to Momtrends this week.

~Shannon, Food Channel Editor, Momtrends.com