Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thyme-Sauteed Pork Chops with Apple Slices

The greatest thing about having herbs in your garden is actually finding a way to use them.  This recipe caught my eye years ago when I first started growing herbs and I make it every year when thyme is full in the garden.  The recipe source is Martha Stewart's Quick Cook 1983.  

Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour 
salt and pepper to taste
8 extra-thin (1/2-inch thick) loin pork chops
4 tablespoons of butter
4 Tablespoons of olive oil
16 sprigs fresh thyme, or 2 tablespoons dried thyme
2 Apples (Martha suggests Granny Smith or McIntosh) peeled, cut in 1/4-inch slices
  (I used 4 apples and I will use any variety I have on hand.  These apples were Jonagold,  they are fantastic cooked like this.)
  1. Combine the flour with salt and pepper.  Lightly dredge the pork chops in the flour.
  2. Heat half the butter and oil in a large skillet.  Saute' half the chops for 5 minutes on each side.  While the chops are cooking, put some of the thyme under each chop so the herb will stick to the meat.  Remove the chops and keep warm.
Here is a picture of my pork chops.  I brown them on one side and before I turn them over I will put the thyme under the chop.  

 Here the thyme is under the chop.  This prevents the flour coating from sticking and it gives the chop a great flavor.

3.  Add remaining oil and butter to the skillet and cook the rest of the chops the same way.      Remove them and keep warm.
4.  Using the same skillet, saute' the apples for 2-4 minutes, or until soft but not mushy.    
     Arrange the chops and apples on a serving dish.
Serves: 4-6


 I will link this to Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum.
Go and visit all to sample all of the great recipes.
Do you need new dinnerware?  Enter to win $45 CSN Gift Certificate!  Click here to enter now!

12 comments:

ChRiS said...

cast iron skillet!!! that meal looks fantastic

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, yum. Thyme is really good with all meats but I've never tried it with pork! The apples looks scrumptious!!

xoxo
Jane

The Charm of Home said...

Chris,
That was my grandma's cast iron skillet. It is my absolute favorite skillet. Especially when I have to pan fry anything.

Lynn said...

Yummy and beautiful! Your presentation is lovely!

shannon i olson said...

Thyme is one of my absolute favorites. This looks great.

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I love using my cast iron skillets - build to last a lifetime and then some! Happy FF.

:)
ButterYum

PS - I love pork chops, and yours look divine!

KathyB. said...

This looks so tasty. I have herbs and apples growing here so this is also a very practical recipe!

Rose M. Rodriguez said...

Hello dear, the recipe is wonderful. I love your blog, you always have something good and new that offering home! will put into practice or at least try. in terms of the herbs grown in our own garden, I must confess that I have made certain combinations and are very useful when cooking for a big family. sherry blessings, Rose marie

Sue said...

This must smell so good while it is cooking!

Heather said...

this looks so delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe :) and thanks for stopping by today as well!~ good to meet you~!

Allison Shops said...

Looks wonderful! DH was just saying he wanted a few new recipes.


As a regular reader of your blog, I wanted to let you know about Atticmag's new linky party - Giveaway Friday! It's a convenient place for bloggers to link their giveaways each week. I hope you'll come over and link it up!

We've kicked it off with a fantastic giveaway of our own. Five lucky winners will win material to do a backsplash in their homes. Just leave a comment to register.

Allison
Atticmag

Entertaining Women said...

Just for starters, I adore the blue transferware plate...and I'm excited to try the recipe for the Thyme Sauteed Pork Chops. I'm glad that you dropped by my post. I've collected my 'girlie dishes' a few at a time...mostly on eBay and at estate sales. The blue Waterford goblets are called 'cased crystal,' a process that is most notably done in the Slavic Countries...Poland, Czechoslavkia, & Hungary. Waterford went outside of Ireland to have these produced. They are discontinued, but you can find them on eBay and at Replacements. They've really spiraled up in price over the last year or so. Glad that I found them when I did. Drop by for a visit any time. Cherry Kay