Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Shabby Flour Sack Towel

I was so excited to go into the Dollar Store yesterday and find flour sacks. 
 
These are very old fashioned.  My MIL uses something like this to dry dishes.  They were packaged and hanging by the dish towels.  Many years ago they used flour sacks for drying dishes.  They are very Shabby Chic if you shabbify them.  Here is what I did.
 

I first ironed the edge of the flour sack where it was hemmed.  Then I pinned a lace trim on the edge.
    
I sewed the lace trim on in a zig-zag stitch to stabilize it.  I am sure the lace will curl up on repeated washing so I used this stitch to prevent that.
 

I turned under the edge of the lace and sewed in place at the beginning and end of each piece of trim to finish it off.
 
 Click any picture to enlarge
I then went back and sewed a straight stitch on top of the zig-zag to prevent  the lace from curling when washed.
 

That is all I did to this flour sack.  You could put even more lace trim on them.  Rachel Ashwell, known for her Shabby Chic style has this type of flour sack dishcloth in one of her books.  (The Shabby Chic Home)   Her dish cloths have a wide, hand crocheted style trim.  The flour sack dish cloth is not as absorbent as terry dishcloths, but they have a place in the kitchen.  They are great for drying crystal or glass leaving little or no lint on the dish. I purchased these flour sacks in a package of 3 for $3.  I picked up the lace at a thrift store for a very reasonable price ( $2 for 4 pieces of lace).  I will be linking this post to The Thrifty Home's Penny Pinching Party, Blue Cricket Design's Show and Tell Wednesday ,  and My Backyard Eden's Make It Yours Day.


  
 

5 comments:

Grace @ Ruby Moon Designs said...

I absolutely love flour sack dish towels...and have made several myself with some towels that I got at Target...your price of 3/$3 is much better though! Great job!

Blessings, Grace

Raspberries and Rose Petals said...

Beautiful towels! What a great idea! I will have to make some soon! I like your placemats, too (previous post)! Beautiful AND thrifty - can't beat that!

Unknown said...

I love flour sack towels and have been looking for them!! Of course, I have come to learn that my Dollar Store is not as cool as most Dollar stores so I will most likely not find these same ones. Oh well!! Great find and transformation!!

Debbie~ said...

I looove these, I hope I can find some at my dollar store too, they're the best and yours are perfect now!!! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...

That's a great idea! You really made them pretty and shabby chic with that trim. Great tutorial!

Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours day!