Monday, January 4, 2016

A Fresh Start: 2016

 A New Year Tea: The Charm of Home
Well it is time to wipe the slate clean and start again.  Today I am taking tea and enjoying my amaryllis.  It just made it in bloom for the new year.  

A New Year Tea: The Charm of Home
Now, I don't do resolutions but, I do enjoy trying something new.  This year I decided to start journaling.  I couldn't decide between a regular written journal or an art journal so I chose both! (Check out my Pinterest board at that link for ideas to begin journaling.) I will probably write more than I draw but, I am a visual person so drawing is always something I wish I could do more of.  I just never take the time to do it and I ask myself, why not? I started out in college with an art degree, did that for two years, and got straight A's.  It was then that I actually discovered I could draw.  I am not great but it is fun.  So, I always ask myself, when are you going to start drawing again?  So maybe this journal will help me with that.  This sketch was an angel wing and the quote was, "And then one day I realised I had scars in the shape of wings." by: S.C. Laurie    

A New Year Tea: The Charm of Home
Isn't that amaryllis pretty?  My grandmother always grows one of these every Christmas.  It reminds me of her. 

A New Year Tea: The Charm of Home
The teacup was a Christmas gift.  (Thanks CA!) I love it.  Very classy with it's black and white pattern mix and the toile image on the inside of the rim.  It is by Grace's Teaware.  

Floret Window Panel: Heritage Lace
Now, I have been saving these curtains to show you a beautiful snowy scene out of the window, but that might not happen this all.  

Floret Window Panel: Heritage Lace
Look how incredibly green the grass is and that is volunteer heirloom spinach coming up from last year's container gardening experiment.  I grew amazing carrots for the first year ever.  The trick was the container gardening!  The spinach did pretty good too.

Floret Window Panel: Heritage Lace
The lace curtains are by Heritage Lace.  The pattern is Floret.  They go to the floor but, I have raised the lace up here so I could get a good shot of it for the camera.  They are very delicate point d'esprit lace.  They make a perfect sheer panel and are oh, so romantic here in my window.  

Floret Window Panel: Heritage Lace
Out of this window is the perfect view to take tea and to start a journal.  I don't have any plans to write anything special.  I'll just make it spontaneous and it might turn out better than if I schedule it.  What do you do for the beginning of the new year?

Thank you very much to Heritage Lace for sponsoring today's tea.  The product described was provided to The Charm of Home for this post.  The written description was entirely my own.


I will link this to:
There Is No Place Like Home at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tuesday Cuppa Tea at Antiques and Teacups 
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House 
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Your Going to Love it Tuesday At Kathe with an E
The Scoop at Confessions of a Plate Addict
Totally Terrific Tuesday at Live Randomly Simple
Project Inspire at An Extraordinary Day
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings-The Heart of the Home


marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Love the pretty lace curtains and the journal is a fabulous idea.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

I haven't pondered anything for the new year yet as I'm recuperating from the holidays. I do know that decluttering is on the list as well as painting the kitchen/dining room. But Hubby will do that while I supervise. ;-)
I had a wonderful and very busy Christmas this year with two of my sons. I have been drawing my whole life and painting too until I developed a neuro-muscular disorder which won't allow me to enjoy those things much any more. We seem to have a lot in common, you and I, with three sons and art in our blood as well as a love for tea. I love the teacup and I saw it once before on someone's blog; very pretty! What a sweet gift! Your lace curtains are gorgeous! I do love lace and the romance it lends to a room. Thank you for sharing and Happy New Year, my friend!


Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Happy 2016! Beautiful lace curtains, love the pattern.

Bernideen said...

Dear Sherry:
What a pretty posting with your whiteware, lovely lace window treatments and also your Amaryllis is really beautiful. So glad you shared.

Jody and Stan said...

Happy New Year Sherry! So happy I stopped by, I love this post. I'm writing down my goals this year and one of them was to try and start drawing more too! I went to college and majored in Art and then went into Dentistry to become a dental assistant. Thank you so much for the inspiration.Love the lace curtains too!

Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home} said...

You are so talented! I've always wished that I could draw, not my strong suit:) I was an English major in college and started journaling as a child. I continued journaling pretty regularly up until my kids were born, and then life got in the way. I am a HUGE proponent of journaling! Good luck with it and stay with it! P.S. LOVE that quote, think I'm going to have to steal it! :) xoKathleen

Susan Freeman said...

Good luck with your journaling. I used to keep one, but have not for the past several years. Perhaps with a bit of a nudge from you I will begin again. Happy New Year!

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley

Margie said...

I kept a journal during my teens and early 20s. One of the bloggers has inspired me to start journaling again last fall and I hope to continue it on a more regular basis in 2016.

Love your new teacup's whimsical pattern!

Terri said...

Hello Sherry, Happy New Year! Your flower is lovely! I have never grown one of them before and always think I want to try. Starting to journal sounds lovely. I wish you the best with it. I am loving the look of your beautiful lace curtains!
Wishing you a wonderful new year,

Linda Walker said...

I do love those lace curtains! The amaryllis is so pretty and I had planned to get one of my own to enjoy but just never got around to it! Maybe next year!
Happy New Year!

Pat @ bringingfrenchcountryhome said...

Hi Sherry,
I'm a sucker for a pretty lace curtain. Wish we could have a cupa tea by that window.

Maarit said...

Journal sounds like a fresh, happy start for a new period, white pages to fill with life and choices of your own. Happy New Year!

Beth @ Conversations from my House said...

What lovely lace curtains. They put me in mind of summer up country at my cousin's house in New Brunswick.
Journaling can be addictive. I alternate between writing and doing art. I have been doing it off and on for a number of years now. I love going back and being reminded of what was going on at various stages of my life.

Kym Calvert said...

I would love to know what the journal is with the caption "and so the adventure begins." I have searched online and can't find. I would love to start my year out with this type of journal caption... To a wonderful New Year!

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

Pretty... I love the first photo. I have the same teacups. xoxo Su

Cynthia said...

Happy New Years Sherry, love the new curtains. They have amazing lace at Hertiage, nice runners too. We went from no coats in NJ to freezing.o


The Charm of Home said...

Kym, the journal you are seeing there that is turquoise I found at Marshalls on my last shopping adventure. They had many designs and the inside pages are as pretty as the cover with more quotes. It might also be found at a TJMaxx or Home Goods store. Hope you find it. I luv it!

Two PlusCute said...

Charming post and charming photos. What a strong Amaryllis you have there!
I am in my work boots bracing for the task of doing the dishes. Stark contrast with how I imagine you through this gracious post. =)

Margie said...

Just popping by again to thank you for the visit and wish you best of luck on the giveaway!

Pura Vida said...

What a lovely post Sherry. Love the lace curtains

Art and Sand said...

Enjoy your journaling - the combination of drawing and writing make it such a fun activity. And then to be drinking from that beautiful cup is the cherry on top!

Thanks for joining in at Share Your Cup.

Dayle ~ A Collection of Days said...

What lovely images. Good luck on your journaling. I've kept a journal for at least two decades now, not always faithfully, but enough to tell my story. The last few years have found me using a typed journal, as my handwriting isn't what it used to be, but I miss the motion of writing longhand and your post inspired me to consider trying again. You're right about journaling as the spirit moves you, and not on a schedule. I also find journaling therapeutic when troubles come, when hearts are wounded. Spilling it all on paper is healing.

Suzan Sweatman said...

I was getting nervous that we wouldn't get snow here too - but it arrived !
Those lace curtains are so beautiful Sherry - and that teacup and saucer are perfection ! I want to see some of your artwork !

Angela said...

Beautiful lace curtains and that tea pot is surely adorable!

Charm Bracelet Diva {at Home} said...

Thanks for joining us over at Vintage Charm! Hope to see you again this week! xoKathleen


Related Posts with Thumbnails