Monday, October 5, 2015

The Crafted Garden

The Crafted Garden by Louise Curley
Just because the gardening season is coming to an end in the Northern hemisphere doesn't mean you can't enjoy more out of the garden.  Today I am reviewing a book by noted blogger Louise Curley.  She shares her passion for crafting with nature in  The Crafted Garden: Stylish Projects Inspired by Nature.  With projects for indoors and out, The Crafted Garden opens your imagination to explore your creativity and transform twigs, sprigs, and berries into works of art.  

The Crafted Garden by Louise Curley
The book is separated into the four seasons and the crafts that can be created from foraged and grown natural materials.  I am going to share one craft from each season that was my favorite. This craft is called Spring in a Teacup.  It is as simple as sprouting some wheat grass and adding small flowers.   It is a delightful project that could be used for a spring party such as a shower.  

The Crafted Garden by Louise Curley
The summer craft I liked was the Dried Floral Headdress.  The floral headdress has made a comeback as with all things Bohemian.  This craft would be perfect for summer weddings, festivals, or summer parties.  Using floral tape and some wire you can easily assemble this beauty together and it would be unique for capturing the essence of summer.   

The Crafted Garden by Louise Curley
The fall craft I actually tried was Winter-Squash Vases.  I couldn't find squash that looked exactly like these but I had no trouble coming up with a small pie pumpkin.  I didn't realize how easy this was to make or how stunning the results would be.  I was really happy with the finished product.    
The Crafted Garden by Louise Curley
Here is my little pie pumpkin,  It is 6-inches high and 6-inches wide.  I simply cut the top out, and scooped out the interior seeds and pulp, and filled it with water adding my mums; cut to the perfect height.  

The Crafted Garden by Louise Curley
The results were just beautiful.  The craft would make a perfect centerpiece or grouping for any fall table. 

The Crafted Garden by Louise Curley
Here is my pumpkin vase on this week's tea table.  I have been enjoying it all week in the kitchen. 

The Crafted Garden by Louise Curley
The craft for winter that I loved was this Seasonal Wreath.  It is done with foraged materials that are styled in a Scandinavian way that is utterly enchanting!  I have the rose hips and moss in my garden right now and I have been searching the neighborhood for a few of the other supplies.  I may be putting this on my front door this year for Christmas/winter.  That is the one thing I love about this wreath, it looks yuletidy but it could stay up all winter. Such a beautiful look.
I really enjoyed this book about crafting from the garden.  It is a favorite hobby of mine anyway and I can refer back to this book again and again to see natural materials in a new way.  I love to use my imagination and create beautiful decorations from mother nature's glorious seasons.  
The author, Louise Curley, describes in the opening of her book how she has been so inspired by the Brambly Hedge series of children's books by Jill Barklem.  I thought that was interesting, because, I also have been captivated by these gorgeous drawings in which she captures the details of nature so beautifully. I have a nice collection of Brambly Hedge tea cups, in which I love to have tea.  
Brambly Hedge Tea: The Charm of Home
The summer Brambly Hedge tea from The Charm of Home.

The other thing I loved about this book was that the author kept the tools needed to a minimum. This makes it easy for you to forage or cultivate beautiful raw materials and by not needing that many other supplies you are good to go.  She also addresses foraging responsibly; in which she points out some important guidelines.  
Louise Curley has a widely read blog: Welly Woman.  Her first book The Cut Flower Patch, which won The Garden Media Guild Award 2014 for Best Practical Book and has received many excellent reviews.  The photography was by Jason Ingram.  Louise is from Monmouthshire, Wales.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and feel it will be a great project book to refer to through the seasons for natural decorations to enhance my home.  I recommend it for your enjoyment too. It would be a great gift for the gardener you have on your list that likes to craft also.

Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group USA for providing me with this book for review.  The review and opinions were entirely my own.

Sherry

I will link this to:
  
Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tuesday Cuppa Tea at Antiques and Teacups 
Friends Sharing Tea at Bernideen's Tea Time Blog 
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House 
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Your Going to Love it Tuesday At Kathe with an E
The Scoop at Confessions of a Plate Addict
Totally Terrific Tuesday at Live Randomly Simple
Project Inspire at An Extraordinary Day
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House 
Share your Style Thursday at Common Ground
Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings-The Heart of the Home
What to Do Weekends at Shoestring Elegance
Idea Box Thursday at Mila's Little Things

10 comments:

Margie said...

Thanks for sharing these cool crafts! The pumpkin vase looks fabulous! I will have to try the "Spring in a Teacup" next year...

Lynn Bean said...

These crafts are delightful! The book sounds as if it has lots of great ideas. Thank you! Lynn

Deborah Montgomery said...

I love the Brambly Hedge illustrations. So whimsical. And I love the pumpkin vase you made with mums in it. What a wonderful craft idea for a fall or Thanksgiving table. Thanks for sharing.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Sounds like a lovely book to have in one's home, Sherry. The crafts are unique and I like your pumpkin with the flowers tucked inside. I always admire your Brambly Hedge teacup. The shape makes it elegant too. Thanks for sharing with us and enjoy your day.

Blessings,
Sandi

Dawn Y. said...

I am reading this lovely book right now, Sherry! So much wonderful inspiration! I have also been enchanted by her Seasonal Wreath project. It's time to begin gathering the materials from my Midwest garden! Thank you for letting me know about the author's blog. I will definitely visit for more inspiration. Happy Autumn days, Sherry! ♡Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes

Bernideen said...

Aren't books wonderful treasures. I love gleaning ideas and being inspired. Sometimes it isn't about doing what they did but being inspired in another direction. These ideas are wonderful. Love your photos and display! So glad you shared.

Angel Allen said...

Your pumpkin vase is wonderful. I'm definitely trying this tomorrow. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing with us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party. That black floral teacup is lovely. I'm a teacup fanatic.
Angel

Nora @ Teacup Tales said...

This book looks wonderful and practical too! I definitely want to make the pumpkin vase this weekend. I'll have to check out her blog as well.

Kaye Swain said...

Such lovely and unique ideas! Thank you for sharing them. I've pinned and facebooked your post :)

Have a blessed and beautiful week!

Kaye Swain
SandwichINK.com

aspiritofsimplicity said...

ooh I just love that little wreath. I think I will go foraging tomorrow.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails