Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Secret Gardens of the Cotswolds

Today I am armchair gardening again with the Secret Gardens of the Cotswolds, written by Victoria Summerley and the photography is by Hugo Rittson-Thomas.  When I think of the most idyllic scenery in England the first thing that comes to mind is the rolling meadows and cottage gardens of the Cotswolds.

This magical region of England has long been know for its gorgeous gardens.  This book did not disappoint with a private tour through 20 estates in the Cotswold region sure to delight the gardener in anyone.  

Here is a peak at my favorite gardens in the book.  This is The Rill Garden at Eastleach House.  This garden was designed by the owner Stephanie Richards.  It is located on a steep sloping site and she designed it to save her husband having to mow it.

This is a garden at Burford Priory.  The cottage-style gardens grab my heart more than the formal ones.  This raised walkway with all of the hardy perennials and roses spilling forth are just my style.

This is a collage of all several of the gardens in one page.  This shows off some of the more formal garden designs.

This is a view from Stowell Park.  A magical arbor created that leads to mowed path of wild flowers and an open lawn that used to be the site of a swimming pool.  

I thoroughly enjoyed this book it was a treat to pour over the gardens and enjoy touring each one of them.  Some of the gardens are strictly private and this book offers you the rare glimpse of the inspiration and passion the gardeners took to create them.  I would highly recommend the book if you have ever wanted to visit the Cotswolds region in England.  This is a stunning personal tour of private gardens that are captured beautifully and can be savored again and again.

Today the teacup was from Bavaria china and the pattern was Orleans.  I thought the roses on the cup matched the roses on the table well.

The roses aren't quite blooming here yet, but I found my favorite roses at the store and captured them bloomed out just beautifully.
Are you gardening yet or still dreaming?

Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group USA for providing me with this book for review.  The review and opinions were entirely my own.


I will link this to:
Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tuesday Cuppa Tea at Antiques and Teacups 
Friends Sharing Tea at Bernideen's Tea Time Blog 
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Your Going to Love it Tuesday At Kathe with an E
The Scoop at Confessions of a Plate Addict
Totally Terrific Tuesday at Live Randomly Simple
Project Inspire at An Extraordinary Day
Do Tell Tuesday at Maybe She Made It
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House 
Share your Style Thursday at Common Ground
Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings-The Heart of the Home
What to Do Weekends at Shoestring Elegance
Idea Box Thursday at Mila's Little Things


Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

This looks like a fabulous book! I have visited here many time and would love to see a few of these gardens on my next visit.

Anne Davis said...

Thanks for the heads up on this book! Definitely bookmarking this for purchase. Lovely china and bouquet, too!


Margie said...

Thank you for sharing these lovely images. I don't have much of a green thumb but I do enjoy viewing or visiting beautiful gardens!

www.maisonvogue.net said...

Thanks so much for this lovely blog Sherry ...I have been to the Cotswold's many times and you have just sent me down memory lane ...trying to create a Cotswold garden is near impossible here in Alabama ..but I do enjoy the more tropical plants that I have learnt to grow

There is nothing like an English cottage garden though is there ??

So enjoyed reading and looking at your blog ..

Happy days Janet

handmade by amalia said...

Wonderful eye candy!

martinealison said...

Bonjour chère amie,

De la poésie, du charme sans cesse renouvelé...
Merci pour la découverte de ce magnifique livre.
Les photos sont sublimes.

❀ ♡ Gros bisous ♡ ❀

Kimberly~Nutbrown Cottage said...

Oh, my! That book is divine! I must locate a copy. I'm doing a bit of relocating of plants in my yard, but it PALES in comparison to such stately beauty. I know these places often have a gardener or a whole troop of them to keep everything looking perfect. I'm sure it's a full-time job, but what rewards!

Michelle Palmer said...

I love the Cotswolds, the gardens in your book are beautiful.
Enjoy the rest of your day.
Fondly Michelle

The Joy of Home with Martha Ellen said...

Such a lovely look at the gardens in the Cotswolds! Your posts are always beautiful. ♥

Martha's Favorites said...

I too love the Cotswolds. Your garden book is amazing. I have been out in my graden, but we are in a drought so not sure what I am going to end up with this year. :( Love your tea cup. Have a great week. Blessings, Martha

Suzan Sweatman said...

How gorgeous Sherry !
John's from England and his Father was a rose " expert " apparently they were gorgeous !
Sadly he didn't inherit those genes lol.
Love the roses you bought - what a beautiful color - we're still dreaming here too.........planting officially only starts next month in our neck of the woods!

Cyndee Christman said...

Thank you for linking up to Idea Box!


Related Posts with Thumbnails