Monday, January 12, 2015

British Gardens in Time Review

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
Tea and books are naturally great companions.  Today I have a review of another great gardening book.  The book is British Gardens in Time written by Katie Campbell.  This book starts with the very beginning of garden history in Britain with the early Roman gardens and takes it all the way up till the English Landscape Movement.  The book describes the influences that gardeners were inspired by including the work of Lancelot 'Capability' Brown at Stowe to Christopher Lloyd at Great Dixter.  

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
This is the companion book that accompanied the BBC series Four British Gardens in Time.

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
In the beginning of the book the author outlines a short history of British gardens discussing each time period and the major developments that contributed to the gardening history.  You would really appreciate this book if you were a English history buff, which I am guilty of.  I took a lot of English history in college and I could easily follow along with the time frames, political, and historical developments.

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
Of the four iconic British gardens featured in this book, first up is Stowe largely attributed to gardener Lancelot 'Capability' Brown.   Stowe is considered the birthplace of 18th century landscape gardening.  Stowe's grounds are one of the best examples of  classical landscape gardening with statues and temples.  Think of Elizabeth Bennet's garden romps in Pride and Prejudice (2005).

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
The next garden is Biddulph Grange which is James Bateman's Victorian World Garden.  It is a most unusual garden designed in a series of connected 'rooms' devoted to different parts of the world.    

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
Nymans was created by Ludwig Messels.  It is one of the most fashionable gardens of the Edwardian period.  It is considered the quintessential English garden with borders inspired by William Robinson whose ideas about gardening were credited with spurring the English cottage garden movement.

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
And last featured is Christopher Lloyd's Great Dixter.  An estate that dates from the middle ages was taken by Lloyd, a 20th century gardener and garden writer, and he designed these famous architectural shaped hedges mixed with the herbaceous borders.  I really enjoyed this book.  The writer goes into a lot of depth with the four gardens featured and it is a very interesting read.  You get the story behind the properties and the gardeners and how they made these gardens each uniquely their own.  I would recommend the book for gardeners that have these interest.  I grew up on a working farm and I can appreciate the story of the development of each of these gardens and the love and vision each gardener poured into their creation.    

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
I am having tea today with our 'winter gardening' and I have a new mug.  I thought it looked very Emma Bridgwater like, but it is a knock off made by Homeessentials. 

British Gardens in Time Review: The Charm of Home
The teapot is evoking some spring gardening and nesting!  It is made by Gracie China.  
I don't know about you but, I am always ready for warm weather right after Christmas so getting into the gardening mood is not a problem for me.
Thank you to Quarto Publishing Group USA for providing me with this book for review.  The review and opinions were entirely my own.


I will link this to:

Tea Time Tuesday at Rose Chintz Cottage 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
Tea Cup Tuesday at Martha's Favorites
Tea Cup Tuesday at Artful Affirmations
Tuesday Cuppa Tea at Antiques and Teacups 
Friends Sharing Tea at Bernideen's Tea Time Blog 
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Inspire Me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life
Tweak It Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Say G'Day at Natasha in Oz
Your Going to Love it Tuesday At Kathe with an E
The Scoop at Confessions of a Plate Addict
Totally Terrific Tuesday at Live Randomly Simple


Margie (aka Marglom) said...

What a sweet teapot!

Bernideen said...

I love the look of a formal garden but then filled around with a wild flower look. These photos are wonderful in your book! So glad you shared at Friends Sharing Tea!

Christine said...

I found your post from the link up at her. organized. chaos.

I'm in love with that little birdie on your teapot! :)

What gorgeous and inspiring pictures. I remember my mother always talking about how beautiful English Gardens were. I can definitely see why she said that now.

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

A good book review, the British certainly influenced gardening in America.
I like your birdie teapot, I have a different design from Gracie.

Beth L. said...

Gardens and tea go together!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Looks like a lovely book to enjoy while sipping a cup of tea. I am always thinking of spring once Christmas is over. We have the same birdie teapot and your mug is cute. Thanks for joining me for tea.


Gentle Joy said...

Looks like a nice book... pretty gardens... :)

Faith Hope Cherrytea said...

Looks like a great winter browsing book! inspiring thoughts of spring...
and thanks for setting out the cup with my initial on it - very welcoming:)

~Sharon at
Faith Hope & Cherrytea
Come For Tea?

Chel @ Sweetbriar Dreams said...

This looks to be one of those comforting books to look through on a cold January evening, dreaming of things that will happen in a few months while sipping a lovely cup of tea x

Linda said...

I am a gardener at heart, Sherry, albeit an apologetic one. Lol I do LOVE gardens and can always browse a good gardening book. Anytime is a good time for that. We are in the depths of winter here but I am daydreaming of flower beds, like you. Thank you for an inspiring post...
Wishing you a beautiful evening,
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Martha's Favorites said...

I can't wait to feel better in order to garden again. I do love to be in the yard. Your tea pot is perfect. You always make it so pleasing to visit. I hate to leave. Have a great week. Blessings, Martha

Sharon Erickson said...

What a great book review and even better TEAPOT. I love it! Thanks for linking up to Totally Terrific Tuesday last week. Our party is going LIVE tonight at 9pm CST. Hope you see you again!


Ruth W said...

What a great book! That's now on my to-find list! Back from break with a feeling-better-Honey!
Thanks for linking to Tuesday Cuppa Tea!


Related Posts with Thumbnails