Sunday, January 19, 2014

DIY Fairy Tale Lace Crown

DIY Fairy Tale Lace Crown, The Charm of Home
I know you have seen lace crowns before on blogs, but I did this one a little different.  I had a vision of what I wanted but, it took me a while to come up with a fabric stiffener that actual worked.  I tried Mod Podge that didn't work, in fact I had to throw that lace away.  I tried a liquid spray on fabric stiffener and that didn't work, if it sprays on it isn't thick enough to actually stiffen the lace.  Then I tried Aleene's Fabric Stiffener & Draping Liquid and that worked great.  It looks like Elmer's school glue and that is the right consistency to get the lace to stand up enough to form a crown.  I laid my lace out on a piece of wax paper and placed the fabric stiffener into a plate and rolled it all over the lace covering it completely.  I let it dry for at least 24 hours and then I was ready to form my crown.

length of lace as desired  (My lace was 15 inches long and 3 inches wide) Lace was provided by my sponsor Wholeport
Aleene's Fabric Stiffener & Draping Liquid
wax paper
sponge craft roller
coffee can or other shaping device
desired length and width of ribbon  (My ribbon was 45 inches long and about 3/4 inch wide) 

DIY Fairy Tale Lace Crown, The Charm of Home
I shaped my lace into a circle by rolling it around a coffee can.  Then I took a 3/4 inch white satin ribbon and taped the end with a little piece of tape making it pointed for threading just like a shoelace. 

DIY Fairy Tale Lace Crown, The Charm of Home
Then I laced the ribbon at the back to fasten it together.  This creates the fairy tale look to my lace crown.  This works best with a lace that has an open weave design that can be laced up.

DIY Fairy Tale Lace Crown, The Charm of Home
I finished the lace off with a bow and cut the taped edges off  with a 45 degree angled cut; letting the lace trail down the back of the crown a good length.

DIY Fairy Tale Lace Crown, The Charm of Home
Here is the front.

DIY Fairy Tale Lace Crown, The Charm of Home
It could be used for a prop for photography or for your favorite little princess to play dress up.

Thank you to my sponsor Wholeport for supporting this craft project!

I will link this to:
Tweak it Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Be Inspired Friday at Common Ground  
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts
The Scoop Party at Cedar Hill Ranch 
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters Stuff 
Friday Flash Blog at The Jenny Evolution
Project Inspire at An Extraordinary Day 
Do Tell Tuesday at Maybe She Made It


Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

That is so cute, Sherry...charming idea!

Marti said...

That's adorable. I wonder if a tiara could be made the same way?

20 North Ora said...

Beautiful crown. I am needing one for a paper mache angel I have and I think the lace idea might work. Will let you know. Thanks for the inspiration!


Candy S said...

Thank you for the info on the fabric stiffener. Your crown came out perfect! I have a couple of little princesses in the family that would love a lace crown.

Sherry Thecharmofhome said...

I would think a tiara would work Marti. The lace was very stiff and could have been shaped into anything. It would shape better wet around the coffee can but, this having been my first time making a crown I was just pleased to get the lace stiff on the third try. A great way to try the tiara might be to shape it wet to a plastic headband and wrap the two together around the coffee can while drying.? Let me know if you try it! Thanks!

living from glory to glory said...

Dear Sherry, This was really cute! I think I need to make myself one to wear around the house!
I did Pin It !
I really enjoy your blog, I always have :)
I just felt like you were just a bit out of my league. But what the heck this girl wants to play ball :)
No, really, my blog is really a teaching- ministry thing for me.
But I know great taste when I see it!Blessings, Roxy

Katie Mansfield said...

The lace is gorgeous. Cute, cute, cute!

Lady of the Woods said...

NO, I have Not seen these before! what an adorable thing! and why didn't I think of this?! Its lovely, I love how you laced the ribbon through the lace! lovely~

Debbiedoos said...

Aww...that is just precious Sherry!

Kim Hood said...

That's beautiful! I've never seen a lace crown in blogland. But I have now! Thanks for sharing how you made it. Blessings!
Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

Jeanette Ann O'Donnell said...

awwwh,that is so sweet Sherry x

Micupoftea said...

So sweet! Would make a darling cuff for big girls, too :)

Mabey She Made It said...

This is so cute! i have two girls who would love these. I'd love it if you came and shared with us at the Do Tell Tuesday link party at
Hope to see you there!

Hoyby Crafts said...

This is beautiful! I love the ribbon laced through the back to connect the crown. My daughter would looooove a crown like this. Stopping by from Hoyby Crafts through the Someday Crafts link party.

The Old Parsonage said...

Darling! I (think) remember Karla Nathan from Karla's cottage making baskets from doilies using watered down Elmer's glue.

I want to run to my studio and make a few!!!

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

Sherry, your little crown is so cute I can hardly stand it!! Will we be seeing it at an upcoming tea party?

Sorry to be so late in getting around....I was a little MIA this week. Thanks for linking up at Project Inspire{d}!!


Related Posts with Thumbnails