Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sugar and Spice: My Christmas Buffet


My holiday buffet is styled with a sugar & spice theme.  I wanted everything in the dining room to sparkle this year so it is snowy and has lots of candles.  The feature on the buffet is the food of course, with a four layer Jam Cake and Sparkling Cranberry Punch.

I flocked my Christmas greenery in the dining room this year myself.  It is so easy to do and I liked the snowy results.

Jam cake is a Kentucky tradition and this recipe has been in the family for at least four generations.

The punch was so very easy and it tasted delicious!  Didn't last till evening at my house!

Silver, mercury glass, fairy lights, and flocked greenery creates a magical winter theme.

More of the dining room to come and now for the recipes.

Jam Cake

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
6 eggs, divided whites from yolks6 teaspoons cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup of nuts (chopped) or raisins 
1 cup of sour milk (buttermilk) (Sour regular milk with a tablespoon vinegar)
1 cup of jam ( any flavor)  We usually use strawberry.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream butter and sugar until light in a large stand mixer or mixing bowl.  Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each. Blend in cream. Combine flour, soda, spices in a separate bowl, add to the butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Fold in the egg whites. Blend in jam, and chopped nuts or raisins.  Pour into 4 greased and floured 8-inch cake pans.
Bake at 325 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.  Cool pans on wire rack for 15 minutes. Carefully invert onto racks to completely cool.   
You can ice with ready made cream cheese frosting or use this old recipe for a brown sugar caramel icing.  I used ready made cream cheese frosting in this post.

Icing
3 cups sugar
1 1/2 cup cream
1 tablespoon white corn syrup
Cook until jells in cold water.  Then add 2 tablespoons butter and stir in.  Put on cake right away.  If it cooks too hard add milk.
Here is a resource for making this frosting.   

I garnished with sugar frosted cranberries and a sprig of holly.  To sugar frost the cranberries just coat with egg white and roll in granulated sugar.  Lay on parchment paper till completely dry.  

Sparkling Cranberry Punch

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups cranberry juice
1 bottle (750 ml) sparkling white grape juice, non-alcholic
8 teaspoons sugar

Pour the juices in the punch bowl and add the sugar stirring in.  I doubled the recipe except for the sugar I only used 8 teaspoons of sugar to a doubled juice recipe.  I garnished with more of the sugar frosted cranberries floating (cranberries float) in the punch and they stayed sparkly for a awhile.

Enjoy!
Sherry
I will link this to:
 
Foodie Friday at Rattlebridge Farm 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters Stuff 
Homemaking Linkup at Hope In Every Season 
Rooted in Thyme Simple and Sweet Fridays
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style 
Home at Rose Chintz Cottage 
Everyday Vintage at Helen's Legacy
Vintage Christmas at Organized Clutter
Be Inspired Friday at Common Ground  
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage

The Shady Porch 30 Day Holiday Linkup 
Christmas Extravaganza at Debbiedoos 

29 comments:

Denise Stain said...

Your buffet looks gorgeous! And delicious too :)

Jacqueline~Cabin and Cottage said...

Everything looks so beautiful Sherry! I've always wanted to flock a tree. Glad to hear it's easy. I'm sure that cake is delicious, but it's so beautiful too! Adds so much drama. Magical!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh my, that layer cake is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Poppy said...

Pretty as a picture, literally, figuratively and appetizingly true! The jam cake beckons, the cranberry punch sparkles and the whole room is aglow with festivity!

Enchanting!

Poppy

Bernideen said...

Looks fabulous - can we come?

Two Vintage Sisters - Robin and Pam said...

Everything looks so beautiful, I can't pick a favorite thing. All equally gorgeous! :) Robin

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How elegant and beautiful. I would love to have some mercury glass...it looks good with any decor! Hugs!

Kathy Moreland said...

What a beautiful display! Love the flocked greenery, and the candle light. Your cake and punch sound divine!!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

It all looks so festive! I love the sparkly touch. Must try that cake...I've never heard of a jam cake before, but it looks fabulous!

Down to Earth Style said...

The wreath against your chalk board and gold frame looks so great. Love the twinkle lights too.

Sylvia said...

Beautiful! Love the layer cake.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Oh, YUM, Sherry! Looks divine! And I do that punch with slightly different ingredients. Loved your pretty buffet.

xo

Sheila

JP said...

So pretty! That cake looks beautiful and I'm sure it was delish!
JP

Luján Fraix said...

Gracias por venir a la hora del té para compartir un ratito de tu tiempo y el mío, es una forma de acercarnos a lo que somos, a la esencia...
Un besito

Gurvy Green said...

Your photos are incredible! They bring in the warmth of the season, thanks for sharing and bringing some holiday cheer!

Liz@ Infuse With Liz said...

Beautiful! Love the soft glow of candle light! That cake looks sooo good!

Penny @ Penny's Vintage Home said...

Your buffet is just gorgeous! I love the flocked wreath that you did...I've been wanting to flock something...you may have given me the courage! Hugs, Penny

Linda said...

Sherry!!! Just an awesome atmosphere here.
Linda at Beautiful Ideas

Danielle Giannandrea said...

So lovely! I love the sparkle from the mercury glass and fairy lights the best : ) A beautiful winter wonderland!

Jann Olson said...

Sherry, it is all so beautiful! I love the flocked trees and that jam cake is as gorgeous as I'm sure it is tasty! So glad that you will be sharing this with my 'sugar & spice' party!
hugs,
Jann

Bella said...

Hi Sherry,
Your buffet is beautiful!! Great job on the flocking, I love the wreath on the chalkboard! The show stopper is that four layers of yumminess cake, lovely!!
Hugs,
Bella

Maria Elena said...

Your buffet looks gorgeous! And the cake, AMAZING!:)

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

Wow I want to make that jam cake now. Either I have to reduce the recipe since I only have two cake pans, or make them in stages, or buy more pans but I do want to try that...it looks both beautiful and delicious!

Jennifer Bliss said...

Awesome! Decor is lovely! Very festive!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Your jam cake looks delicious and thank you for sharing the recipe. The punch is easy and looks good too. Thanks for sharing at my HOME.

Blessings,
Sandi

Shauna Smart said...

Thank you so much for linking up to The Weekend re-Treat Link Party this week on The Best Blog Recipes! Wanted to stop by and “Pin” your post to our Link Party Boards (Recipes or Crafts) while I was here !

Shauna @ The Best Blog Recipes

Ashley said...

Wow! Your buffet looks gorgeous! Love the soft glow of your decor! :)

Ashley @ casa-de-castel.blogspot.com

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love it all but especially that wreath on the chalkboard. Just a beautiful buffet!

Elizabeth said...

I love it all!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails