Tuesday, December 17, 2013

DIY Flocked Christmas Greenery

I found a link on Pinterest that showed you how to flock your Christmas tree yourself!  I thought how smart!  Well I didn't think it would be a good idea to do the whole tree but, I did give it a go on a wreath and a garland and I really liked the results.  Here is what I did.

4 bars of ivory soap, grated 
2 1/2 cups of cold water added with 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1 cup hot water
white shimmer or white iridescent glitter

  • Grate the bars of soap in a large mixing bowl.  Add to this the water and cornstarch mixture.  
  • I would use a stand mixer.  Add hot water as you begin mixing .  Mix for two minutes, until you get the texture of shaving cream.
  • Immediately begin rubbing it along your branches.  Place from the inside of the tree, garland, or wreath and work out; where snow would naturally fall.  You can do it thicker in some areas and thinner in others. 

  • Finish by sprinkling glitter on top of wet "snow."  It will dry and look like snow.  I liked the white shimmer glitter best, but I also used the iridescent too.  They are both pretty.  As you handle the tree, wreath, or garland this glitter will shed but still remains sparkly.
The garland was the garland I used in my Snowy Cottage Christmas Dining Room.  I applied the flocking on the garland with it on newspapers and I just moved the whole arrangement to the top of the pie safe and let it dry for a day.  Then when dry, I slid the newspapers out and continued to decorate it.

This was how it looked finished.

I also applied the flocking to the wreath above my Christmas buffet in the dining room.  The effect was exactly what I had hoped for.  The snowy scene was enhanced by the flocking and it really looked as good as if I had bought a flocked wreath.  To do the flocking took very little time and it was super easy.  The soap has dried on the greenery and I will leave it that way for next year.  Let me know if you try it and how it turns out!

Recipe adapted from:
Mockingbird Cottag: Homemade Christmas Tree Flocking

I will link this to:

Tweak it Tuesday at Cozy Little House
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Make the Scene Monday at Alderberry Hill
Amaze Me Monday at Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts
The Scoop Party at Cedar Hill Ranch 
Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style 
Strut Your Stuff Saturday at Six Sisters Stuff 
Friday Flash Blog at The Jenny Evolution
Share Your Cup Thursday at Have  daily Cup of Mrs. Olsen


Danielle Giannandrea said...

Wow, this came out so pretty! Great job! I love on a garland or wreath. I want to try this! : ) Really beautiful job! ♥

Bella said...

Hi Sherry,
I have seen the flocking done with soap on pintrest too and wondered how it turned out. Yours looks fabulous and I appreciated the opinion and details, Thanks!

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

That looks amazing! I had no idea how to do that! Happy Holidays, Sherry!

martinealison said...


Une manière très astucieuse de créer la neige !... Merci du partage.
Une très jolie publication aux saveurs de noël.

A l'aube de ces fêtes de fin d'année, je vous souhaite tout plein de bonnes choses afin que tout se réalise, y compris le bonheur...

Gros bisous à vous ♥

Michal Woodruff said...

Holy Cow!! Who knew!! I can't wait to try this. Must find greenery immediately and flock it. Thanks for sharing.

Sylvia said...

Lookd so pretty! Love it.

JP said...

What a great recipe....I'll have to try it for next year on my tree!

Pondside said...

That's very effective. I especially like how it looks on the garland on top of the cabinet.

Katie Mansfield said...

Wow. I had no idea. I'm curious how it will hold up after being in storage. Was it messy? It looks so cute.

must love junk said...

This turned out so great-love it!

Laura Lane said...

That's really pretty!
Harvest Lane Cottage

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

I love this Sherry! Pinning!!!!

Sherry Thecharmofhome said...

I have moved it a little and it does shed but for the most part the flocking stays on because it is dried on.
Let me know if you try it!

Jann Olson said...

Sherry, I really like how it turned out. It is so pretty! I will be doing this to my garlands and wreaths next year! Pinning. Thanks for sharing with SYC. Have a very Merry Christmas!
p.s. Did you see that you were the winner of my $40 gift card give away? It's good for T.J. Maxx, Home Goods, or Marshalls. send me your address and I will get it in the mail!


Related Posts with Thumbnails