Monday, November 11, 2013

Christmas Memories

With the approaching holiday season I can't help but think of past Christmases.  I have lots of Christmas memories that revolved around home but my favorite Christmas memories were the fun we had spending the night at my Great-Grandfather's house.  This is his house, it was a farmhouse that several generations of my Grandmother's family had lived in.  We used to go over Christmas Eve and spend the night waiting for Santa's arrival.  We did this every Christmas till I was a teenager.

Source: Javier Carrete
That old house was cold!  It had gas fireplaces and heaters that we all curled up around to keep warm.  I remember being jealous of the person with the supply of socks that looked the warmest; thickly hand knit and wool!  Every Christmas Eve we would sit around the dining table and play board games.  It was always a fun event.  We would all retire to our rooms; each family had a room they slept in each year.  The fun in it all was the wake up call.  The youngest, usually me, would wake up and nudge their parents awake.  That would set off a chain reaction of wake up calls all through the house.  Only adults were allowed out of the rooms to do the "waking up."  Children were kept in their rooms until we all entered the living room together to see if Santa had made his visit.  It was quite exciting.  I remember squealing and being hardly able to wait to be allowed in the living room.

Here we are, I am the one taking the photos...with my Fisher Price camera.

Once the presents were opened the family headed to the kitchen and the biggest breakfast I ever remember in my childhood was served.  There were courses to Christmas morning breakfast.  We had doughnuts, there was cereal, and then most everyone had bacon and scrambled eggs.  We always knew if it was about time to eat when the frying bacon set off the fire alarm!   I don't know what it is about food and memories but, Christmas morning is full of vivid memories of the large breakfast we ate.  The one thing that stands out about the tableware was that we used the "good stuff."  We drank our orange juice out of my Great-Grandmother's Fostoria.  That was always a treat.  Because if you have ever seen Fostoria in the American Block pattern, it is sparkly and heavy crystal, such an elegant glass to have for Christmas morning breakfast.  Christmas was really special during my childhood.  I have lots of other memories but these are the most vivid.  I now am finding myself in the role of recreating this special holiday at my house.  It is the least I can do when I had so much fun during my childhood.

In honor of Veterans Day I would like to thank my Grandfather (in the top hat) for his service during WWII. I thanked him several times when he was alive.  He is no longer with us for he died this year at the age of 88.  He was a sweet man that is dearly missed. 
Thank you Grandad for the sacrifices you made for us.

Love, Sherry
I will link to;
Inspired Sunday at Sunday View  
Make It Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House
Seasonal Sundays at The Tablescaper 
A Return to Loveliness  at A Delightsome Life 
The Scoop at Confessions of a Plate Addict 
 Home at Rose Chintz Cottage


All The Pretty Dishes said...

I enjoyed reading your post...such special memories for you and I love how this post honors your grandfather.

Bama said...

Beautiful post! I too, have many wonderful memories from when I was a child. My parents used to say that we didn't have much, but we always felt like we had it all.

Your Great-Granddad sounds like a wonderful man.


The Quintessential Magpie said...

Such beautiful memories, Sherry!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Such a loving post about your grandfather and how special your Christmas's were. God Bless. Hugs, marty

Danielle Giannandrea said...

Hi Sherry, that was a beautiful post. You made me teary-eyed talking of your childhood. You memories of Christmas and family sound like heaven. What wonderful memories you have. ♥♥♥

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

What a beautiful post and look at you with your little cute!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

What a lovely story, Sherry! You look so cute with your camera. You have some special Christmas memories which I know you have already started to incorporate into your family. Your grandfather sounded like a lovely man and a brave one too. Thank you for sharing this touching post at my HOME. I really enjoyed it!


Cindy said...

Funny I remember in our house breakfast being huge on Christmas morning also. It was a day that each and every one of us got our favourites and they were all on display to enjoy.

Laura said...

What special memories. You were so cute! I look forward to seeing how you carry on the tradition. I know it will be gorgeous! Thank you for sharing with Inspired Sunday.


Kathy A Delightsome Life said...

Wonderful Chrismas memories, Sherry. I am delighted that you shared with A Return to Loveliness,

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Sherry, I saw the picture of your breakfast on Pinterest but it takes you to a link party you had linked to. This is a beautiful post, I don't remember many Christmases of my childhood. Thanks for sharing yours. XO

Susan Clayton said...

I love reading about Christmas memories. The pictures are so charming. Visiting from Sunday View.


Related Posts with Thumbnails