Monday, December 10, 2012

Wrapping Paper

 Canon Rebel EOS T1i, 50 mm lens
2.8 f-stop, 15 shutter speed, Auto ISO
Natural light from window, no flash

Okay, I have shot this in manual and over-exposed it to the point that the background is whited out and the colors aren't true.  It is in focus, but I had to have a tripod to get it in focus because it was so blurred with the lens being opened so wide.  
I was looking at at food blog competition yesterday and in the "Best Food Photography" category over half of the entries were photographed this way.  Ehhh...I am not feeling it.  I just don't think this is my style.  

 Canon Rebel EOS T1i,  50 mm lens
 4.0 f-stop, 15 shutter speed, Auto ISO
Natural light from window, no flash
This is a normal shot of this wrapping paper.
I have now had five photo sessions with the manual adjustments and I think it is starting to make sense.  Have you heard how a person must hear/see something 7-9 times to remember it.  I must see it (visual learner) and do it to remember it.  Reading or hearing directions just doesn't register with my brain!
December Photo-a-day challenge at A Content Housewife  


The Quintessential Magpie said...

I don't know how you do this, Sherry. I have to use auto setting because I can't see the tiny numbers even with my glasses. But I admire you trying to do this. I thnk your pictures look fine!



Ms. Redo said...

I'm the same way, have to see it and do it to get it.

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Oh I know what you mean! Lately I've just been taking lots of shots and changing the settings to see what turns out the best. I still have lots of questions, but it is starting to make more sense the more I play with the manual settings. Best of luck!

Sue (Someones Mom) said...

I really need to learn more about my camera. I just had a couple of photos turned into canvas for my husband and I could only go as large as 8x10 because of the resolution they were shot in??? I have no idea if I can fix that for future photos or if I need a better camera. Too much to learn about too many things and never enough time (that I can stay awake). How do you like today's cold weather? I guess as long as it isn't ice or snow, we can't complain!

Jen @ Creating with the J's said...

There are so many things we can do if we walk away from the auto settings. It is hard though. I am a visual do-er as well!!!

Jill Flory of Sew a Fine Seam said...

I am hoping after the holidays I can work with a guy who knows so much about photography he has forgotten more than I'll ever hope to know! I have spent some time listenting to some of his tips and I can't wait to learn how to shoot in Manual. And I like the overexposed shots - but that's just me!


Related Posts with Thumbnails