Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Easy Coastal Ornament

Most of my Christmas decorations will have a coastal theme to them this year.  I was asked by a family member why coastal when I don't live by the sea?   I love to change up my themes for Christmas and coastal is a theme I love anyway.  It is also really easy to pull off with out a big investment in decor you will only have out for maybe four weeks a year. 

So to create an ornament with any shell or starfish, try raffia.  You can find it in any crafting section of most stores.  The raffia just needs to be looped around one finger of the starfish like pictured above.

Pull the raffia snug and it "grips" the starfish. 

Tie a knot in the end of the raffia for the desired length of string.

And, that's it.  It will work on most shells and then they are ready to hang in your tree, on a wreath, or in a garland.  
 What Christmas decor have you been working on?

Sherry
I will link to:
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Coastal Christmas Linky Party at Sally Lee by the Sea
 

19 comments:

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Sherry, your coastal ornaments look lovely on your tree. The white is soft and very upscale! Tying the sea elements on with a little raffia also adds to the pretty feel. I have some shells that will find their way to my tree this year. I am following your lead!
Yvonne

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Sherry, this is really pretty! What a creative way to display your shells! I can't wait to see your tree!

Anonymous said...

I love this Sherry. I'll be working on the condo Christmas soon. I might have to copy.:-)

Karen said...

That looks so pretty, shells are beautiful for Christmas decorating whether or not you live near the ocean. I may add a few to my tree this year.

WhyCuzICan said...

Very sweet and very beachy ornaments. My family always had a condo on the Oregon coast, and this is something my Mom would have loved. Thanks for sharing!

Visiting form Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style tonight,
Suzanne in NW Illinois

xinex said...

Oh this are all so beautiful, Sherry. Love the beachy theme...Christine

Blondie's Journal said...

These are SO cute!!

XO,
Jane

Teacup-In-The-Garden said...

This is wonderful!
Have a nice day,
Markus

Debbie said...

Very pretty! My mom has a coastal tree on her sun porch. I love the look.

Me? I'm still lugging down boxes.

The French Hutch said...

Hi Sherry, I love the look of coastal decorations for Christmas. We were just at the beach a few weeks ago and all the lovely Christmas decorations were out. What a treat........

~Emily
The French Hutch

Sunday Taylor said...

Very creative and pretty ideas for the Christmas tree. I am a first time visitor to your blog and really enjoy all the inspiration!

Marigene said...

I like the idea of a coastal themed Christmas. Cute ornaments, Sherry.

Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive said...

Hi Sherry, I enjoyed looking around your blog and all your great ideas and pictures. Thanks for the inspiration!

Carolyn said...

Hi Sherry,
I love the idea of a coastal theme for Christmas!

Thank you so much for your kind words today.

Take care,
Carolyn

Arabella said...

Love it! You decorate like I do!! We're having a coastal Christmas blog hop going on right now and we'd love for you to share this with everyone.

Happy December :O)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Sherry,
Oh I LOVE that starfish...just my style!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Eileen said...

Love it, It's just my cup of tea! Your photos are so awesome too!
Happy Holidays!
Eileen @ CBH

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

These are so pretty...and perfect! Happy holidays! ♥

Mary @ Sea Quilts said...

I love the very non intrusive way you chose to hang them. I have pondered on that very dilemma before. Thanks!

Mary @ SeaQuilts