Monday, February 28, 2011

Black and White Photo Party

I am happy to join Tracy at her blog Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures for a black and white photo party.   I love playing around with the photo editing software to get more looks out of my photos.  I have found out there is a lot I can learn about my photography in the black and white editing process.

Texture will often show up really well in black and white.
Italian Mardi Gras masks from Epcot, Walt Disney World.

 Pattern and form can be dramatic in black and white.
Color can be distracting.  I have trouble telling how well the lighting is working here.  In black and white you can check your lighting, the color isn't grabbing your eye and distracting you.

 This is even a better example of how distracting color can be

Here, you can really see how well this castle is lit.  This is value.

Here is another example of texture.

Here different lighting is nice in black and white.

 
Lighting again is highlighted here in black and white.

In this photo there is bokeh, light, and line all working together for a different composition.
I can really learn a lot by trying black and white in the editing.  I don't always use the photo that way, but it highlights some of the basic elements of art and design: line, shape, value, space, and texture.  
Thank you Tracy for these photography parties!  I continue to learn more and more about visual arts through the camera lens.  Go and visit Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures
for more photography and more parties to come. 

18 comments:

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures/Treasured Moments said...

I love your post. It was so informational and the photo examples were so good. I loved how you showed the difference in the candlelight and firework display. They really were better in black and white. Thanks for linking.

Shine said...

Love all those gorgeous photos....ESPECIALLY love the pewter table. Beautiful

Martina said...

Hi Sherry, I love black and white photos and yours look beautiful. I even like the look of sepia. Martina

Jen said...

I LOVE the halloween table and the castle! What a difference black and white made with those pictures!

Blondie's Journal said...

You really made some great points, Sherry. I agree with you on the texture in black and white photos. I need to experiment more. Lovely pictures!

XO,
Jane

Sarah, Three Boys said...

Looks great! I am new to photography so I am always looking for tip. THANK YOU!!!

Olga said...

Wonderful photos! I especially like the one with acorns.

⚜ ↁℯℬℬᴵℰ⚜ said...

Oh I love it!

Kelly Ash said...

What pretty photos - I think I may have to join in this party next time! I think Black and white photos show so much more emotion.

~Kelly

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Really cool to see the color and b&w photos next to each other! Very dramatic difference:@)

Liz said...

Hi Sherry - you are so right about textures being interesting in black and white. I love old movies and somehow even although they are in black and white, they still convey depth and variation. Great!
Liz

Debbie said...

I have just GOT TO learn all you photography techniques. They are so pretty, especially that bokeh thingamjig.

bj said...

I love love love black and white...

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

It is a great way to show texture. The shot of the tulips is lovely with wonderful light!

HeatherClay said...

I love the masks!

Diann said...

Oh, wow! What stunning photos you have here. And showing the remarkable difference from color to black and white is wonderful!

Pam said...

Great post. I love the disney castle example. It shows your point perfectly!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

These are beautiful. I am very encouraged by these photos to try even more of mine in Black and White.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails