Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Christmas Tree

My Christmas tree is very traditional and pulling from some of the oldest Christmas customs.   Martin Luther is said to have decorated a small Christmas tree with candles, to show his children how the stars twinkled through the dark night.  (www.christmasarchives.com)

 In the mid 16th century, Christmas markets were set up in German towns, to provide everything from gifts, food, and more practical things.  At these fairs, bakers made shaped gingerbreads and wax ornaments for people to buy as souvenirs of the fair, and take home to hang on their Christmas Trees. (www.christmasarchives.com)

I gathered some pine cones locally, then spray painted them, and sprinkled glamor dust glitter over the wet spray paint.  I wrapped a green pipe cleaner around the top and created ornaments.  

I found some beautiful metal frames at the thrift store for very little.  They were dark and dirty when I found them and I cleaned them up and put past Christmas pictures in them.  This is a favorite with my two sons being held by a relative playing Santa Claus.

 These glass ornaments look expensive but I got them at the Dollar Tree after Christmas one year for 50 cents a piece!  My favorite time to shop for Christmas is after Christmas for the next year's decor.
Some toys sitting below the tree until we need more room for presents.

I love to enjoy the tree as much as possible for it will soon be gone.  

I will link this to:

You can also view the tree in movie format.  It is under a minute.

22 comments:

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Love the tree, and love that softened shot of it!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sherry, it is gorgeous and mine is very traditional, too.

Aledia said...

It's very pretty! Thank You for sharing it with us and have a good rest of the week.

Debbie said...

Your tree is very much my cup of tea!!
I also enjoyed the video with all of your lovely decorations.

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Very pretty! I love the feeling of the old world charm.

Simply Stated ~ Rebecca said...

Gorgeous ~ I love a traditional tree, it's just how we decorate ours. :-)
All the best ~ Rebecca

Shelia said...

Hi Sherry! Your tree is so pretty and love seeing some of your ornaments too. The little dolly in the chair is adorable.
Be a sweetie,
shelia :)

Karen @ The Whimsical Lady said...

I love your tree! It's a similar idea to mine. The pinecones are so pretty. I love the toys under the tree!

Cabin and Cottage said...

This tree has it all working! The top is great, and I like the roses. It's nice to sit back with only the tree lit and enjoy the big jewel in the room. Enjoy it as long as you can! Jacqueline

Skooks said...

Oh my goodness! What a beautiful tree. I love the idea of framing pics of the kids with Santa. How adorable!

Johanna said...

Sherry,
it a wonderful tree, you made. I love this traditional red and silver colors. And you have so many nice ornaments to hand in the tree. My Dad told me once that his mother used to decorate the tree with cookies and chocolate. And on Christmas evening all the goodies at the lower twigs has disappeared. The parents were really upset because the thought, one of the kids had stolen the goodies. But in the end they found that actually the families dachshund has done that. You brought nice memories back. Thank you so much.
Greetings, Johanna

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Beautiful tree Sherry! I love the candle holders! One year I made spiced gingerbread man ornaments for everyone as gifts, the house smelled great:@)

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I just love a traditional tree!! Your ornaments have memories and that is what Christmas is about! I love the candles on it!! So welcoming!

Ann said...

You have such a nice tree, it looks so festive:)

Sweetladyelaine said...

Your tree is very pretty Sherry! I love a traditonal tree! Collecting and using ornaments from year to year just makes me smile. I can look at my tree and remember specific events or vacations. Thank you for sharing your wonderful tree! Wishing you and yours a Merry Christmas!

kara@elements-interiors.net said...

HEY Sherry! Im your newest, most excited follower!! I found you thru...one of our mutual blog buddies and Im CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZY about your blog! Its BEAUTIFUL!! LOVE your tree...so Warm and welcoming!! I would LUUUUV it if you would visit my blog and 14 days of Christmas trees...and a GIVEAWAY you might like :) SO GLAD i found you!

*ENTER CUSTOM FLORAL Give-Away Here *

xoxokara

Willow said...

Your Christmas tree is so lovely. I hope you and yours have a Happy Christmas.

Willow

Michael - Innkeeper said...

wow! beautiful christmas tree! i love those little candle ornaments!!

Tina said...

So pretty, I love the vintage feel of the decor!
Thanks for sharing!
Merry Christmas!

Lottie said...

I absolutely LOVE your Christmas tree! It is so beautiful! Thanks for sharing!

Gail @ Faithfulness Farm said...

Sherry..your tree is breathtaking! I love the mix of ornaments and that Noah's Ark is wonderful :)

CHRISTmas Blessings!
Gail

Carolyn said...

Your tree is beautiful and I love the header pic on your blog too.

Have a lovely Christmas,
Carolyn

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails