Sunday, November 28, 2010

Tree Topper

Today I have been working on the tree topper.  Instead of a traditional tree topper I am making my own.  Just about every tree I have seen in decor stores lately have had a tree topper done in this fashion.  Here is my before bare tree top.

 I have now added two glittered oak leaf floral picks.  I found these at Hobby Lobby and got them 50% off.  Along with these two picks I have spray painted two twigs gold and added them in and tied them to the tree top with wire. I am not sure I have enough twigs at this point.

Here, I have added a very large bow made with a 2-inch wired floral ribbon.  I purchased three spools of this ribbon from a floral shop after Christmas last year and got it at 50% off.  You can find out how to make a great florist's bow at Sue's blog I Need Mom!
This link will take you right to the bow making tutorial.  I made all my bows this way this year and they turned out really pretty!   

I spray painted a few more twigs and added them to the top.  This look is more what I was going for.  Looks festive without looking too busy.  The rest of the tree isn't finished but, I will keep working on it.  Progress has been slow but steady.
I will join these wonderful sites, go and visit them.
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House in the Roses
Make It For Monday  at Cottage Instincts
Before and After Party  at Savvy Southern Style
Re-Party at First a Dream 
Just Something I Whipped Up  at The Girl Creative
Market Yourself Monday at Sumo's Sweet Stuff
Amaze Me Monday  at Dittle Dattle

25 comments:

Debbie said...

I love it!! We just have a very traditional angel at the top of the tree. I'm afraid if I tried to change it, my girls would cry foul.

Gee, maybe I can have an angel...holding some painted twigs...

shirley said...

Oh Sherry,
You are one creative lady. I love all the things you have been showing us..I sure love spray paint but havent used mine in a long time...
Beautiful tree topper..
Shirley

Meg said...

It looks great! I love the glittery-ness and the bow is a great touch as well! Wonderful job!

Serendipity Chic Decor said...

What a unique design...Looks stunning!

Take care,
Lisa

Momma Button said...

I love how you've incorporated the bow! It has definitely given me some ideas for working our crocheted angel in to something a little more elaborate. Hmmmm.........

Chandy said...

So cool! Glad to see it as I'm new to your blog.

ann said...

lovely! :) not too over the top, either (no pun intended!) :)

Heather said...

Your tree topper looks great! Love the big bow!

Charlene said...

What a great idea!!!! I am tired of the tree topper I have used the last few years & since I'm doing a "Candy" themed tree I bet I could do an adorable one. Thanks for the inspiration! Charlene

Cheri said...

Your tree topper looks great with your tree - love the woodsy color scheme. Thanks for visiting my blog - new follower!

THE VERANDA HOUSE said...

YOU ARE SO CREATIVE IS BAUTIFULL TOPPER

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

How did you know I was struggling to come up with a tree topper??? Thank you for inspiring.

I would be honored to have you add it to my blog party

Amaze Me Monday Blog Party

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

Great minds think alike. I just took pictures for a post about a tree topper for next week. But yours is gorgeous!!!!! I love the color and the bow. I too, stopped by Sue's to see her bow tutorial. It was great. I love lots of "fluff".

You got this topper just perfectly right. It is a real stunner! I hope you will show the whole tree in a post. I bet it is fabulous!
Yvonne

Atticmag said...

It's a great tree topper and you're off to such a wonderful start. Hope you'll drop by and see our Christmas mantels. We're early this year. Jane

Sue (Someone's Mom) said...

You did do a great job on the bows! It is nice to know that the tutorial has enough details to work!

I've made what I call "strange" tree toppers for many years. I love them that way. Yours turned out great! I will have pictures of mine up soon...did you see my tutorial on my freaky one from last year?

Carrie @ Dittle Dattle said...

You're the best!

Thank you for linking up to the first ever "Amaze Me Monday" blog pary.

Sherri @ Design2Shine said...

Love it! Last year I used 'twigs' from the yard to top my tree, tied with twine. ;-)

Pamela said...

Oh, I love your topper. I may have to replace my angel who doesn't seem to know which way to lean.

DANA said...

What a great post! I would love for you to link this up to my linky party! http://danajeanward.blogspot.com/2010/11/link-up-giveaway-and-winner.html

texasdaisey said...

Very cool idea. I would have not thought of those kind of leaves with the sparkle. I love just about everything with sparkles. There is just something about them that makes this girl squeal with delight!
Debbie

Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea said...

Love your tree topper!!

I'm a new follower from Amaze Me Monday ~ Happy Holidays to you!! :O)

http://SallyLeeByTheSea.com

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great topper and look forward to seeing the whole tree. Thanks for linking up.

Pat said...

The tree topper is beautiful! I like the ornaments and key, also.

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

I really like the topper! The tree has such a rustic feel that I love!

Honey at 2805 said...

So pretty and really great topper! I'm doing the tree today and hope that my bow will turn out well. We'll see.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails