Monday, November 8, 2010

Thanksgiving Mantletop

I put some things out on the mantel for Thanksgiving.

I really liked this garland, it is a little bit like jewelry.  I found it at Hobby Lobby. 

The candles glowing are a must when it gets cold outside.

The cornucopia was the perfect place to try something completely different.  So, I put a flower pick in the bottom, then I placed a gold bird's nest on top of that with a gilded baby boo pumpkin.  


My favorite is the art print.  I found it in a Ladies Home journal from the early 1900's.
"The Abduction of Pocahontas" by Jean Leon Gerome Ferris, c. 1910, recreates the arrival of Captain Samuel Argall (at left) at Jamestown with Pocahontas as his captive. He had kidnapped her in 1613 "for the ransoming of so many Englishmen as were prisoners with Powhatan: as also to get ... armes and tools ... [and] some quantities of Corne, for the colonies relief." The Europeans, who regarded Pocahontas as a princess, were surprised that her father did not redeem her, but in a matrilineal society she could not inherit her father's power and so was relatively unimportant.  (www.vahistorical.org)
Jean Leon Gerome Ferris (August 18, 1863 – March 18, 1930) was an American painter best known for his series of 78 scenes from American history, entitled The Pageant of a Nation, the largest series of American historical paintings by a single artist. (wikipedia.org)
*Note- this was the art print I owned, so I put it on the mantle.  Jean Leon Gerome also did a scene of the "First Thanksgiving," a more suitable art print for the season.  I just appreciate the art so I put it up. 


 Image weblogs.sun-sentinel.com
I will join these sites, go and visit. 
Show Off your Cottage Monday  at The House in the Roses
Tabletop Tuesday  at A Stroll Thru Life
2nd Time Around at A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words
Twice Owned Tuesday at The House of Grace
 I will join Joni at Red Couch Recipes for the Thanksgiving Challenge.  I will put at the end of every post till Thanksgiving what I am thankful for.  I am thankful for family.
Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do... but how much love we put in that action.
- Mother Teresa

image- maryengelbreit.com

27 comments:

Kathy said...

I love your post -Even where you post at the end what your are thankful for -You captured he meaning of thnaksgiving in your decorating and posting.

GrannySue said...

Your mantel is jus beautiful. I really like the garland - it IS like jewelry for your mantel. The print is perfect and it all comes together.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Sherry,
Your Thanksgiving mantel is just beautiful! Love the golden pumpkins and candlelight as well as the lovely framed print. Have a lovely day.

Blessings,
Sandi

La said...

The mantle looks terrific. Cute ME image. La

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Your mantle looks great! The pretty mercury glass candle holder just lights everything up-enjoy:@)

Blondie's Journal said...

How pretty your mantel looks!! I like the way you decorated the cornicopia with the nest and pumpkin and the garland is SO sweet! Nicely done, Sherry!

XO,
Jane

Melissa Miller said...

Sherry it looks welcoming and gorgeous! :)

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

So warm and inviting!

spindlecottage said...

Love the ending picture on your post!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

What a warm and inviting look...love those candles! Happy Fall!

Blessings,
Linda

Need some Christmas cash? Hop over and enter my gift card GIVEAWAY!

Jenny said...

Looks lovely :)

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty Fall vignette.
Enjoy your evening.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Oh it is so pretty. Love the pumpkins and the picture is just perfect. The garland is just so pretty. You've created such a warm and inviting look. Thanks so much for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

Marydon said...

G'eve Sherry ~ Lovely holiday touches.
Have a lovely week ~
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

Sherry, that print is so interesting! It is certainly different than the image we usually see at Thanksgiving, with the Pilgrims and the Indians and turkey feasts! Your mantel is beautiful. Linda

Debbie said...

Of all the lovely things, my favorite is the print of Pocahontas. I would love to have something like that. I'm such a history lover.

And I love your thankful part at the end. That quote by Mother Teresa is a wonderful one.

Cabin and Cottage said...

Hi Sherry! So nice seeing your lovely mantle. I have also gone back to see your Victoria post and it is so beautiful too! The white roses took my breath away. All the whites were so gorgeous. Wonderful photo styling! I like the cover of the hardback edition better! I'll have to look for it. You are so good to visit and comment so often. I really appreciate it. I'm having a hard time adjusting to it being NOVEMBER. The last couple of months have been just a blur! Best to you, Jacqueline

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Great mantelscape. Love that artwork.

It's Just Dottie said...

Everything you do is so pretty!
Smiles.
Dottie

Jacqueline said...

Nice to hop on over from Table Top Tuesday. I love how you have anchored this with the piece of art. It looks beautiful and really adds so much feeling and dimension to the vignette.

Ldy ~~ Dy said...

Very lovely mantel. I agree that the garland looks like jewelry! The art is perfect! Hugs!

eddieross said...

That garland is gorgeous! Lovely mantel!

E+J

Tammy said...

I've never seen a Thanksgiving art print. I'm in love! Everything looks so pretty!

Through My Red Door said...

What beautiful pictures and thank you for the history lesson! I love your embossed leaf candles.
Very pretty!!
Sheila

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Sherry, Your Thanksgiving decor is wonderful and I love your print. If you have never been to Jamestown you should plan a trip. I really enjoyed visiting and seeing all the history.
Hugs, Sherry

Jeanne said...

Your mantel is lovely and festive. The art you found is great vintage and intersting
Hugs, Jeanne

Denise @ http://www.somanytables.com/ said...

Gosh, I LOVE your print. I don't think the other painting you showed is more appropriate. In fact, I think yours might tell a truer tale. I used to teach second grade. All the first grade classes had a Thanksgiving Feast on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving, complete with costumes. All the second grade classes "enjoyed" a Mayflower meal of salt horse and hardtack (jerky and a cold biscuit) just before going out to morning recess. We thought it might help remind children of what the Pilgrims endured. I think your print might do that too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails