Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Tale of Four Pheasants

I saw some pheasants at Hobby Lobby that I wanted but they each had a broken tail so I passed on them.   Then I acquired these two pheasants at the thrift store for 50 cents and $1  but, I wasn't really loving their finish.

So, since my Thanksgiving table was starting to have a gilded theme, the pheasants got the spray paint can just like the acorns and the leaves.  I left this pheasant solid gold.  It made it look modern.  I liked the change but I also wanted to play around with the finish.

This little pheasant was going to get the Rub'n Buff treatment.  I hadn't tried this product before.  It has carnauba wax and copper mixed in it to give a wax metallic finish. 
I put the black Rub'n Buff on and let it dry.

Then you buff off some of the finish.  This is how it looked.  Which do you like better?  I left one each way.

I then lucked into a large male and female pheasant at the Goodwill.

They were in pretty good shape so I go them for $1.75.  

I decided to spray paint them white. 

They needed more definition to bring out the texture so I applied a mocha glaze.  I ended up giving them two coats of glaze.  These will be my Thanksgiving centerpiece!  I finally have pheasants for my table for a very inexpensive price.    
Pheasants $3.25
Spray paint already had
Rub 'n Buff $2.65 a tube
Glaze already had
Total for 4 pheasants around $5.90
Hobby Lobby Pheasants $14.99 a piece
I will link to these sites, go and visit them.
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
2nd Time Around  at A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words
Twice Owned Tuesday  at House of Grace 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday  at Coastal Charm
Junkin Finds at A La Carte
Thrifty Thursday at Tales From Bloggeritaville
Frugalicious Friday  at Finding Fabulous
I will join Joni at Red Couch Recipes for the Thanksgiving Challenge.  I am thankful for the beauty that surrounds us in nature and talented people. 

Images are: Monet, sunset, Martha Stewart table, castle in Germany, Hawaii.


SavannahGranny said...

You scored big time!! Be sure to share the finished centerpiece. Thrifting is so much fun and a little gold spray paint works miracles. Happy Thanksgiving, Ginger

Blondie's Journal said...

Wow! You did a fabulous job, Sherry. I love that Rub N' Buff although I have never used it myself. And the white pheasants look great, too. Very inspiring. Your table is going to look fantastic!


Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Your pheasants look wonderful and I like the added rub'n buff and the glaze. The pheasant with the babies is adorable!

Sherry, Thank you for adding my Holiday Decor button and for your visit. I always appreciate you stopping by. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
xo, Sherry

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Sherry, those look great. I think I like the rub n buff added to the gold one. I am not having the party this week since I have family coming for Thanksgiving and so much to do.

Bella said...

Hi Sherry, Love your pheasant collection, great job! My favorite are the antiqued white, I started painting a couple squirrels I have got them part white and chickened out on finishing, now I am inspired to get it done!

Mimi said...

Wow, those came out fantastic!

Johanna said...

Hi Sherry,
you did a good job with all those pheasants. I am curious about your Thanksgiving table. Must be very nice.
Greetings, Johanna

Kathy said...

I love the pheasants

Shelia said...

Hi Sherry! I love your paint treatment on your birds! Looks awesome!! You're good.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Hi Sherry Sweetie...
Boy did you score BIG. I love the pheasants. I especially love the one with the Rub n Buff. Now I have never tried it, but it makes it look SO elegant. Love, love, love it. I thank you for introducing the product to me.

Those white pheasants are also quite elegant. I have never picked any up, when seeing them, as I have never liked the painted ones, but you have given me a whole new insite. Love it. Thank you my friend.

Hope you have a beautiful Thanksgiving. Can't wait to see your table. Many hugs and much love, Sherry

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

They look great! I'm looking forward to your Turkey Day table:@)

Splurgie said...

You made them into stunning pieces. What an improvement! Can't wait to see how you've used them.

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

those are so cute! i have a bit of a ceramic owl obsession and always buy them at goodwill and paint them white. :)

Shirley said...

I love both of them! They turned out great, it is amazing what paint will do!

Pam said...

Those are all fantastic. It's amazing what a little paint and glaze can do.

tales from an oc cottage said...

Oh my gosh! How awesome!!

m ^..^

Sandra said...

Love the transformations! I love using the antique gold rub n buff but didn't know that there was a black one. I'll have to look for it next time i'm at a Hobby Lobby. Isn't it fun to find some good buys and then paint them if you want? I love doing this too.

Lindy said...

This project turned out so good! Very pretty pheasants!

Jackie said...

Beautiful! Simply beautiful!

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Score!!! Great job with the finishes! I really like how they turned out. I never remember when I see figurines at GW and in thrift stores that something that I don't like "as is" could so easily be transformed and look way cuter just by changing the paint! Thanks for a great reminder!

A Toile Tale said...

Hi, Sherry --
We must be on the same wavelength! I did a post today on the very same treatment with some cheap multi-colored turkeys from Michael's. Great minds?
Linda @ A Toile Tale

Erin@likegrandmas said...

If this tells you anything, I said "I love it!" out loud, to no one, lol!!! I love them! Great job!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

I love your pheasants, Sherry! You did a lovely job. They're going to look wonderful on your Thanksgiving table; indeed all Winter long!


Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Now this is one beautiful and THRIFTY how it turned out. Happy Thanksgiving!


Cozy Home Scenes said...

Both makeovers are very pretty, but I like the gold treatment the best. Those don't look "redone" at all. Amazing how easy it is to turn cheap Goodwill finds into something really pretty.

momgen said...

Oh they are pretty after the changes...Happy 2nd time around...Mine is up.

mine is here

Blogging by Pictures said...

looks amazing! love it.I am your newest follower!


Related Posts with Thumbnails