Monday, November 1, 2010

Some Sparkle For the Holidays

I love the look of some sparkle for the holidays.  When you have guests over it is nice to bring out "the good stuff."  Like most these days the budget for the holidays has shrunkSo being a fan of repurposing and recycling people's throw away treasures, I shop the thrift storesMost of the stores I shop, at one time or another, have had some silver or silver plate serving pieces. 

You never know what luster might be hiding under the heavy tarnish of most silver.  But, for only $1 this silver plated butler's tray had sat on the thrift store's shelf neglected and I decided to risk the $1 in hopes of gaining a valuable serving piece for the holidays. 

Mission accomplished.  It shined up beautifully and champagne will never look better than served on this tray.  Inspired by Mary Carol Garrity of Nell Hill's.

Please go and view these blogs for wonderful ideas:
2nd Time Around  at A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words
Twice Owned Tuesday  at House of Grace
Before and After Party at savvy Southern Style
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday  at Coastal Charm
Junkin Finds at A La Carte
Thrifty Thursday at Tales From Bloggeritaville
Frugalicious Friday  at Finding Fabulous
Inspired by Fridays at The Inspired Room

30 comments:

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Wow, just beautiful-enjoy! Maybe one day I'll learn how to pick out "the good stuff" when it comes to silver:@)

One Cheap B*tch said...

Thrift stores are the best. This tray is just perfect. Thank god for the things people get rid of!

Jeanine

Pam said...

Good find. I see so much silver in thrift stores and garage sales these days. I think the tarnish keeps people away. I love it though.

Lori said...

Silver at goodwill is your best bet. Usually cleans up like a charm, yours is gorgeous. Great size too!

Marlee said...

I have been resisting buying silver because I am too lazy to polish it, but your sparkly little tray has changed my mind. Cheers!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That turned out beautifully. Wow, for only a dollar! I do wish you would link to my before and after party tomorrow night. That was certainly a before and after!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

This is one awesome NIFTY THRIFTY treasure...thanks for sharing it at my PARTY!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Karena said...

Looks so great, now please please shine my silver!!

Come and see my latest find! Would love your thoughts....

Karena
Art by Karena

Johanna said...

Hi Sherry,
nice find and good job! It looks really wonderful and make another sparkle on your table.
Greetings, Johanna

La said...

This just goes to show you don't need to spend a fortune to present a classy display. Nice! La

Mimi said...

Your vignette is nice and sparkly with the crystal and silver. I have found some beautiful trays at thrift stores for almost nothing. I have even used them as charger plates.

Red Couch Recipes said...

Great fin and I agree we all need some sparkle around the holidays. Joni

Kristen White said...

Absolutely gorgeous......great treasures!!!
Kristen

KayC. said...

Beautiful tray...what a great find just in time for the holiday season. Thanks for sharing!

shirley said...

I bet if you brought that tray back now..it would sell for much more and I'm sure it would be off the shelf in a flash..nice job.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Thank you so much for linking.

CAS said...

That is just lovely. I was thrifting today & found a few silver "maybes". One shined up beautifully, the other 2 not so well. I'm thinking of using some chrome spray paint.
Carol

Sarah said...

I'm with you on these old pieces of silver. I often take a chance when I find them for a few dollars. I not often disappointed, even if they don't clean up perfectly. This looks lovely and perfect for champagne. Trays are my favorite accessory around our home. ~ Sarah

Erin@likegrandmas said...

Love the silver!

Dragonfly Treasure said...

Simply gorgeous!
*hugs*deb

Bella said...

Hi Sherry, Perfectly elegant! What a great shine:-)) Your photos are gorgeous!!!
Bella

Sherrie said...

Sometimes, the tarnish pieces are best, other times, only shiny will do. Thanks for sharing. Pretty tray.

vikki said...

Can never find anything at our thrift shops for so little, but I keep looking. Wonderful find.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Great find! What a treasure!

Shirley said...

Silver and crystal together . . . beautiful.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

This tray looks so pretty. I can't believe only $1 and some elbow grease! Gorgeous!

Betty said...

Ok, now you've inspired me to find a silver tray and give it a new life. Gorgeous!

Rebecca said...

The tray adds some elegance to the table-like a picture out of Victoria magazine!

Elaine said...

I love what you shared with us today.. There is so many beautiful discared items out there in thrift stores.. You displays are elegant

Susan said...

Your silver tray is beautiful!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails