Sunday, November 7, 2010

Art and a Shelf

I going to attempt something today I am not comfortable with.   I am hanging art and a wall shelf.  Every time I hang one of these shelves, I take it back down.  Here is the space.  I have this sizable wall space to the left of the curtains here in the dining room.
I rearranged these Courier and Ives prints three times before I settled on this arrangement.  I am trying to let go of my structure on hanging art.  I tend to be a grouping or place it in the center, type of art hanger.  But, Mary Carol Garrity of Nell Hill's says to let go of all rules about hanging art such as; hanging at eye level.  She hangs art all the way to the ceiling and around a door frame and it really looks great.  Well, I don't have an old Greek Revival home like hers with the tall ceilings but, I do think she is right.  I also think if done right it would look good in any home.  It just takes me outside of my comfort zone.  Here, I have hung the art and shelf but, I had to restyle the shelf.  The deer was so dark it got lost on the shelf.

Alright this is better.  The pheasant stands out better, becomes a focal point.  I am liking this better.  Hummm...  I will leave it and think about it.   Maybe I will redo the finish on the oak frame....
Do you have something that sends you outside of your decorating comfort zone?  

I will talk about this pheasant in a later post.  I am not done with it either.  I think it needs some aging.  Hummm...
 I will link to these sites.  Go and visit they are wonderful.
Metamorphosis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Re-Party  at First a Dream
Before and After Party at Savvy Southern Style
Toot Your Horn Tuesday at A Silly Little Sparrow
Transformation Thursday  at The Shabby Chic Cottage

I am joining Joni at Red Couch Recipes for the Thanksgiving challenge.  Every post until Thanksgiving I will tell what I am thankful for.  I am thankful for my three sons.  I love them so much there are no words for it.  They are a wonderful blessing.


GrannySue said...

I think it looks great. I have the same issue with hanging things on the wall. I'm not very good at it. I tend to hang something and leave it for eternity.

bj said...

Hi, Sherry, I am loving your shelf and pictures. Your wall is looking really great.

I just wanted to say that I am soooo late in posting the pretty button you gave to me, along with the 7 THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF. I did the post but it got buried in my drafts and I just found it. So, it will post about 4 this afternoon.
Again I am sorry for being so late..
remember..I'M OLDEN..and I use that excuse for a lot of things that I forget to do. :)))
Please come over...
xo bj

Designing Lady Jane said...

It looks lovely. I really like that pheasant, and it looks great on that shelf with the pine needles behind it.

sissie said...

Hi Sherry,
I think your wall looks good. I have trouble choosing artwork for my home. I see something I like and then I hang it and a few days later, I don't like it! LOL.


Marydon said...

Sherry, your shelf, art & pheasant are lovely.
Have a beautiful week ~
TTFN ~ Marydon

Blondie's Journal said...

Your wall looks great! And the shelf. I have problems choosing arrangements on my walls. I wish I were better at doing groupings. I really have to work at it.

Love the picture of your three boys. My kids are everything to me.


courtneyrevels said...

hey I am having a blog party! trying to get the word out!

Love your blog!

Heaven's Walk - said...

Nice job, Sherry! Looks great! Love the pheasant with the pine needles and acorn...! :)

xoxo laurie

La said...

You did a fine job! I love your acorn. Can't wait to see what is in store for the pheasant. La

paperbutterfly said...

Picture perfect!!

As I have supported my doula clients, some through pregnancy and birth and others with new baby care these last few days I find I do not have the time to chat with each of you individually and thank you for commenting or participating in our Tuesday meme. Please know how much we appreciate and anticipate your contributions each week.

Look forward to joining you around the tea table this week.

Blessings, Pam

Red Couch Recipes said...

Sherry -- I think you shelf pictures look great. Joni

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love it. Looks great just like it is. Thanks for linking it up.

Rose H (UK) said...

Kim sent me over for B & A.
Love the shelf and phesant. My trouble is finding the room on the walls to hang anymore!
Best wishes
Rose H


Related Posts with Thumbnails